The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 10, 2022 7:53 am  #1

Kenny Loggins Recounts Unlikely History Of Caddyshack's "I'm Alright"

It's one of Kenny Loggins' biggest hits. And it was partially inspired by Bob Dylan, Gerry Rafferty - and that gopher puppet. "I'm Alright" is a great rock song and in this equally great article from Sports Illustrated, he recalls how he got the gig for the movie, what inspired the song, why Eddie Money wound up hating him, and the incredible disaster-turned-triumph when he tried for 15 minutes to perform it at the Grammys. 

This is a terrific article and well worth your time if you enjoyed the song or just love behind-the-scenes stories.

"At the same time as I was writing “I’m Alright,” Gerry Rafferty’s band, Stealers Wheel, had a song on the radio called “Stuck in the Middle,” which I always heard as Gerry doing a Bob Dylan impression. Well, if Rafferty could do Dylan, so could I. The director wanted a Dylan song, so I ended up giving him me doing Rafferty doing Dylan. When I got the demo home from the studio, I played it over and over. I couldn’t stop smiling. I’d nailed it.

"
Eddie Money happened to be in the studio next to ours while we were recording, and I caught some snippets of his singing through an open door...I asked if he’d mind stepping into my studio, and 20 minutes later there he was, singing the lines “Cannonball it right away” and “Man, you make me feel good.”

"Unfortunately, when it came time to file the song credits I totally forgot to list him. 
S---. When the error was pointed out to me, I did all I could to rectify things by acknowledging Eddie in as many interviews as I could. I even sent him a note of apology, but that wasn’t enough for him. I’m still not sure what he wanted—it was never a financial thing—but he sure did disparage my name after that. I wish we’d had a chance to straighten things out between us, but I never saw him again before he passed away in 2019."

The Inside Story of the ‘Caddyshack’ Theme Song

Board footera