The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 15, 2022 2:31 pm  #1

Oldest rock/pop artists still performing well into their 80's

Following up on a previous topic about 50's and 60's artists turning 80, I decided to do some searching for those who are still performing despite being well into their 80's.

Here are three - I would welcome suggestions of any others that would meet the criteria.

Petula Clark - will turn 90 in November
She was performing until last year.  This May just past she was part of a musical celebration for Stephen Sondheim, but I don't see any 2022 concert dates on her website.  To demonstrate that she is still active musically, however, here is a song that was just released along with The John Williams Syndicate.  It has a modern sound to it and also a really catchy "hook", as many of the songs of the rock era  did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5yYsBYYAdw

Frankie Valli - just turned 88
Currently touring in UK, with 35 more dates scheduled throughout North America during the rest of the year.

Ronnie Dove - will turn 87 in September
Still performs occassionaly.  Here is a performance from April just past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueCv1ybs3mM

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (June 15, 2022 2:32 pm)

June 15, 2022 5:16 pm  #2

Re: Oldest rock/pop artists still performing well into their 80's

Just saw McCartney in Knoxville 2 weeks ago. He turns 80 June, 18.

June 16, 2022 11:24 pm  #3

Understand Bob Dylan at age 81 was scheduled to perform this week at the Los Angeles Pantages Theater.

June 17, 2022 8:19 am  #4

memphis boy wrote:

Just saw McCartney in Knoxville 2 weeks ago. He turns 80 June, 18.

This is from a newspaper in Scotland. Hard to argue McCartney's influence on music. I can't imagine my youth without the Beatles being there.

And even at 80, he has no intention of stopping now. 

“If I retired, I’d still do exactly what I do”, he said in one interview. “So I may as well not retire…Retire from what? I’d do this for nothing”. 

Happy 80th, Paul – you are the soundtrack of our lives

Board footera