The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 20, 2022 6:58 pm  #1

musicals

Lorne wrote:

aflem wrote:

Don't Cry Daddy by Elvis was mentioned. Here's another one by The King: "My Boy." It's the story of a dad who was going to leave his wife and son, but decides at the end of the song that he'll live with their differences in order to "stay here and watch you grow."  

Just thought of another song about a father that has lyrics mentioning "my boy" and watching him grow: Watching Scotty Grow by Bobby Goldsboro. 

Lorne’s post of a song mentioning "my boy" reminded me of Soliloquy (My Boy Bill) by Gordon MacRae in Carousel, which in turn reminded me of my daughter asking why men don’t like musicals.

I liked Grease, Carousel, and Moulin Rouge (the 1952 one with José Ferrer and Zsa Zsa Gábor).  I enjoyed watching Cats with my granddaughter when she was about 6 but I think it was because she liked it so much.

So, what musicals do other men like (in, or related to, the oldies era)?

June 20, 2022 11:15 pm  #2

Re: musicals

I've always enjoyed the musical "Guys & Dolls" since attending a presentation by a local little theatre group back in high school... but must admit to being puzzled by Loesser naming one of the main songs "Fugue For Tinhorns".... Now, I've got a darn earworm... "I got the horse right here. The name is Paul Revere, and here's a guy that says if the weather's clear, can do, can do...."

Last edited by Cloud9 (June 20, 2022 11:15 pm)

June 21, 2022 6:49 am  #3

I forgot the Annette and Frankie beach movies.

June 22, 2022 1:08 am  #4

In general, I enjoy most musicals but two stand out.  I saw a live performance of "South Pacific" presented by the drama classes at El Camino J. C. near Los Angeles back in 1964.  For some reason, it really impacted me.  The other one was "Kismet" at the Valley Music Hall in Salt Lake City in 1966.  It was a local cast, with one famous guest star, Ann Blythe.  I walked up on the stage after it was over to thank Miss Blythe.  She looked up at me and I looked into the most breath-taking blue eyes I've ever seen.  She took my hand and said "Thank you for coming to see us, we so appreciate it".  I could tell that she wasn't being "show-biz phony" but very real.  She remains as one of the most memorable stars I ever met!

Board footera