The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 1, 2022 12:31 pm  #1

Is this normal?

I was coming out of the Dollar Tree where a man was smoking near the door.  I got a whiff of the smoke and the words “in smoky places” from The Corsairs - Smoky Places  immediately came to mind.  Things reminding me of song lyrics happen often. 

August 2, 2022 9:56 am  #2

Re: Is this normal?

The older I get, the more this happens.

August 3, 2022 12:42 pm  #3

It's happened a lot with me over the years. The latest example has been hearing the Governor of Kentucky and others talking about the flooding of the hollers there ... hollers being a type of valley found in the region. That's not a word that I normally hear in Toronto. However, in 1968 I heard it a lot because The Son Of Hickory Holler's Tramp was a major hit here, reaching #5 on the CHUM Chart. So that song has been coming to mind as a result of this.

August 4, 2022 9:01 am  #4

As soon as I read the word hollers, I thought of the same song.  The one I thought of was by Kenny Rogers.  Who sang the version you thought of?

Lorne wrote:

... hollers being a type of valley found in the region.

Not trying to be rude, that is a hollow.  I think the headless horseman was from a sleepy one.  In some parts of the country, the “ow” ending in words gets replaced by “er”.  Hollow becomes holler, window becomes windder and shallow becomes shaller (which is like a holler).  Being here in KC we’re close enough to the Ozarks we have to understand the dialect. Just trying to help out someone from the great white north.
Forgot swaller is a common one.  Have a swaller of whiskey. 

Last edited by Taz (August 5, 2022 8:04 pm)

August 4, 2022 9:47 am  #5

I have one and it's ridiculous. But it happens every year when I cut the lawn for the first time after what is usually a very long winter.

As the grass grows out of control by the time I get around to it, I always hear the tune, "The First Cut Is The Deepest."

Because indeed, it really is!

August 5, 2022 7:15 am  #6

Thought of another example of the “ow” change to “er” most people will remember:

August 5, 2022 3:55 pm  #7

Taz wrote:

As soon as I read the word hollers, I thought of the same song.  The one I thought of was by Kenny Rogers.  Who sang the version you thought of?

Lorne wrote:

... hollers being a type of valley found in the region.

Not trying to be rude, that is a hollow.  I think the headless horseman was from a sleepy one.  In some parts of the country, the “ow” ending in words gets replaced by “er”.  Hollow becomes holler, window becomes windder and shallow becomes shaller (which is like a holler).  Being here in KC we’re close enough to the Ozarks we have to understand the dialect. Just trying to help out someone from the great white north.
Forgot swaller is a common one.  Have a swaller of whiskey.

I went with that explanation because when I saw the Governor being interviewed about this on CNN, the host felt the need to explain what he meant by "holler" and that was basically how he explained it. That was what first brought the song to mind, but I should have said that I was referring to the version of it by O.C. Smith; it's the only version I know, but it only got to #40 on Billboard. That's rather similar to a song from the previous year that also relates to the same region, Bowling Green by the Everly Brothers. It also only reached #40 on Billboard, but went to #1 on CHUM. 
And my apologies for the fact that your post now has "Last edited by Lorne" under it ... I meant to just click the link that would quote your post, but must have accidentally clicked the edit link that's available to me as an admin. Normally I only do that if I want to edit my own post, but I had realized after I posted originally that I hadn't mentioned O.C. Smith and had wondered about going back and editing it. So I guess I was subconsciously thinking of that when I used the edit link instead of the quote link ... in any event, nothing changed with your post other than me accidentally responding that way and then removing it. 

August 5, 2022 8:06 pm  #8

Lorne wrote:

And my apologies for the fact that your post now has "Last edited by Lorne" ...
... in any event, nothing changed with your post other than me accidentally responding that way and then removing it. 

No harm done. I fixed it so it now shows me as the last edit.

August 5, 2022 8:12 pm  #9

Taz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

And my apologies for the fact that your post now has "Last edited by Lorne" ...
... in any event, nothing changed with your post other than me accidentally responding that way and then removing it. 

No harm done. I fixed it so it now shows me as the last edit.

Thanks very much for doing that. Good to see that someone knows what they're doing here! 

August 6, 2022 2:09 pm  #10

"Well I was born a coal miner's daughter
In a cabin on a hill in Butcher Holler"

Miss Loretta Lynn

August 6, 2022 4:44 pm  #11

I work for The Home Depot as a cashier on the contractors side. For our Pro Xtra members,, we like to add job names to their receipts. Usually a street name or address, or customer name. One of my regular customers has recently been working a job by the name of Polk. You can guess what makes this come to mind for me.

Tom Diehl

August 6, 2022 7:15 pm  #12

StereoTom wrote:

I work for The Home Depot as a cashier on the contractors side. For our Pro Xtra members,, we like to add job names to their receipts. Usually a street name or address, or customer name. One of my regular customers has recently been working a job by the name of Polk. You can guess what makes this come to mind for me.

Sock a little polk salad to me.

Board footera