The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2022 11:20 pm  #1

How Steppenwolf's John Kay Escaped Iron Curtain & Coped With Blindness

The story behind Steppenwolf lead singer John Kay proves he really was Born To Be Wild. And there's a reason he always wears those dark glasses on stage - and it's not just to look cool. 

This is a local Milwaukee story about an upcoming concert there, but the tales of his early life show it was anything but a Magic Carpet Ride.  

John Kay talks his journey to fame and Steppenwolf's rise

August 11, 2022 1:11 pm  #2

Re: How Steppenwolf's John Kay Escaped Iron Curtain & Coped With Blindness

John was in town in '04 signing autographs at the downtown Sam The Record Man store, so I took my 45 of Born To Be Wild to get signed. While waiting in line I noticed a guy flipping through some albums who I immediately identified as Peter Fonda. I couldn't believe no-one else recognized him or approached him. I was faced with a dilemma as to whether I should try and get his signature or remain in line and I chose the latter. Hindsight being what it is, I should have tried to snag Peter's autograph first as he left the store shortly after. Turns out Peter remained friends with John after Easy Rider and was in town to help induct him into the Canadian R&R Hall of Fame. https://www.alamy.com/actor-peter-fonda-right-poses-with-his-friend-john-kay-of-the-rock-band-steppenwolf-next-to-kays-star-on-canadas-walk-of-fame-at-a-tribute-gala-held-at-roy-thomson-hall-in-toronto-canada-on-june-23-2004-the-walk-of-fame-honors-canadian-born-stars-who-have-had-an-international-impact-on-canadas-cultural-heritage-upi-photochristine-chew-image258383586.html

Last edited by Roman (August 11, 2022 1:14 pm)

Board footera