The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2022 8:55 am  #1

Your opinion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWl8D4TCNz0

Is it an adaptation of just one traditional ("My Bonnie...") and the arranger added something of his own? Or is this song a combination of two English songs?

August 16, 2022 7:17 pm  #2

Re: Your opinion?

My wife is Czech and knows this singer but all we can is that parts do sound like My Bonnie. Certainly a little rocked up.

August 17, 2022 9:05 am  #3

My stubborn spouse insists that "Bonnie Came Back" by Duane Eddy (1960) is the only listenable version

August 17, 2022 10:28 am  #4

I just got an explanation from an oldies fan. In this case, the original is "Ooh Bang Jiggilly Jang" performed by Doris Day.
Bob Merrill is credited as the author. Looks like he used "My Bonnie" and added something of his own.

August 17, 2022 1:32 pm  #5

I forgot to write: SP-A, 1955, Billboard No.83, 6 wks

August 19, 2022 12:16 pm  #6

I realized that whoever remembers such a recording must be 80 years old.
And there may not even be such people on this music forum. Or yes?

August 20, 2022 7:51 am  #7

I'm familiar with a lot of songs that didn't chart all that high on the Billboard Hot 100 and its predecessors, and which go back to when I was very young or even before I was born. In my case it's mainly because of the variety of radio stations and programs that I've listened to over the years, which has resulted in me becoming familiar with many songs that I don't remember firsthand from when they came out. What's also relevant with an artist like Doris Day is that she would have received more airplay on non-top 40 stations -- and because my parents listened to that type of station here in Toronto, I sometimes know songs that didn't chart that well on the main Billboard charts but which did better on the Adult Contemporary chart and its predecessors. Those charts didn't start until 1961, but if they had been around in 1955 my guess is that this song would have done better there. 

Board footera