The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2019 3:08 am  #1

More Story!

In 1965, I was working the all-night shift at a small FM station in Los Angeles.  One night, I was getting a bite to eat before I headed for the station.  I was sitting in a rather large booth enjoying my "Big Boy Hamburger" when into the place came a friend I had met the previous year when we worked at the same company (I had just left the USAF).  He was with 4 other guys and when he saw me, they all came over to my booth.  Randy and the guys were one of the local "surf bands", the Challengers.  They joined me in the booth and we had a lively visit talking about the local music scene.  As I was getting up to head to work, Randy mentioned that the next Saturday night, they were performing at the "Orange County World Teen Fair" and I should come on out.  It sounded good to me so I made my plans.

I arrived at the fair about 7:30 and made my way to the concert stage.  Randy and the guys were in the middle of their set and laying down some solid hits.  When he saw me, he motioned to me to get over to a side door where I could get into the backstage area. When I got to the room, I found out that the Challengers were backing up the featured performers of the night and there they were.  I was backstage with the Dixie Cups, Jay & The Americans, Sam The Sham & Pharaohs and the Righteous Brothers.  I walked around, shook a few hands, listened in to some stories and just enjoyed the moment.  Nothing major happened, good or bad, just artists hanging out.  Randy and I visited for a few minutes and then I headed out to be in the audience for the show.  I had to leave right after the show since it was an hours drive to get to work.  It remains one of my favorite memories and I've thanked Randy every time we visited after that.

May 7, 2019 6:52 am  #2

Re: More Story!

Enjoyed the story, Jim.  

It reminded me of an incident from a few years ago when we were at a meet-and-greet following a concert.  My friend, who has been a record collector for years and literally has thousands and thousands of LP's and 45's, brought along a couple of albums from his collection to be signed.  At the first table was Arlene Smith - she was no longer performing with the other Chantels (who to this day continue to perform with a different lead singer).  When my friend put forward his LP for an autograph, she got all snarky, asking him how much this would net him on EBay.  Even after my friend pointed out he was a collector and was not going to sell it, she did sign the album but still with a huffy attitude.  Certainly put a damper on the excitement of meeting Arlene Smith.

But then we moved on to another table where Joe Rivers (original member of Johnny and Joe - "Over The Mountain, Across the Sea") was meeting fans.  A completely opposite experience.  Joe was so happy to have fans coming to say "Hi".  He spent time talking to everyone and was so appreciative that there we were interested in him and his music.  A sincerely nice person.  Joe restored our positive feelings about a great oldies concert and the opportunity of meeting several legends from that era.

May 9, 2019 9:52 pm  #3

Re: More Story!

Randy from the Challengers was a great guy. I was saddened when he passed away earlier this year.

Tom Diehl

Board footera