The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 2, 2022 8:35 am  #1

Songs With A Common Theme

I'm looking to put together an oldies playlist of songs about getting a taste of the upper side of town but coming back to the lower part of town.

Three suggestions so far - can anyone add to the list?

The Poor Side of Town - Johnny Rivers
Uptown - The Crystals
Gasoline Alley Bred - The Hollies

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 2, 2022 12:45 pm)

September 2, 2022 10:10 am  #2

Re: Songs With A Common Theme

I'm Living In Shame - Supremes
Son of Hickory Holler's Tramp - O.C, Smith
Down On The Corner - CCR
Baby Don't Go - Sonny & Cher ("I never had no money, I bought at the second hand store...")
Second Hand Rose - Barbra Streisand
Fancy - Bobbie Gentry

Last edited by aflem (September 2, 2022 10:12 am)

September 2, 2022 11:40 am  #3

Thanks for the suggestions, Aflem.  Certainly excellent examples of songs about being down on your luck, but I'm trying to go for a very narrow and specific theme:  someone who has experienced the upper part of town but has returned to the lower part of town.  Here are the key lines in each of my songs that contribute to my rather specific theme.

"I can't blame you for tryin'
I'm tryin' to make it too
So welcome back baby

To The Poor Side of town"

"He gets up each morning and he goes downtown
Where everyone's his boss and he's lost in an angry land
He's a little man
But then, he comes uptown each evenin' to my tenement
Uptown where folks don't have to pay much rent"

'Cause we're comin' back, comin' back to the homestead
Everythin' is packed, gettin' back to the homestead
I know that we could have made it

We had ideas in our heads
And I wish somehow we could have saved it
But we're gasoline Alley Bred"

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 2, 2022 11:41 am)

September 2, 2022 12:07 pm  #4

I thought of some of the ones that aflem listed as well, but I wondered if you were going for songs that more specifically fit with the ones that you mentioned. I think Harry Chapin's Sequel fits your theme ... maybe Taxi as well, but it's probably more of a stretch.

September 2, 2022 12:43 pm  #5

Thanks, Lorne.  "Sequel" definitely fits my theme and goes on my list.

September 3, 2022 7:54 am  #6

This may not quite fit with what you're looking for, but I'll mention it anyway: Welcome Back by John Sebastian. 

September 3, 2022 8:52 am  #7

Yes, that works for sure.

"Your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back
To that same old place that you laughed about"

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 3, 2022 9:16 am)

September 3, 2022 8:20 pm  #8

Here's one that might also fit your theme:

Down in the Boondocks by Billy Joe Royal.

"People put me down
Cause that's the side of town
I was born in.

I love her, she loves me.
But I don't fit her society.
Lord have mercy on a boy
From down in the boondocks."

September 3, 2022 10:02 pm  #9

GrimsbyFan, I hadn't heard of Gasoline Alley Bred before you mentioned it. So I looked up the lyrics and I'm wondering -- would the singer have possibly gone to a "better" town and was then returning to a "lesser" town? The reason I ask is that I was thinking originally of mentioning Chapin's W.O.L.D., but didn't because it involves the singer going to other cities and then coming back to where he started. Whether it qualifies or not, he clearly had an interest in the kind of theme that you're looking for here. 

September 4, 2022 9:31 am  #10

Lorne, my theme could refer to someone trying for the life of the better part of town, and then returning to the less desiable part of town, but it could certainly apply to someone leaving for a better town and then coming back to the home town.  The Harry Chapin songs and the theme from Welcome Back Kotter (assuming he left to teach in a better town) would fit.

In regards to the lyrics of Gasoline Alley Bred, I assume they left for a better part of town (or a better town)
"I know that we could have made it
We had ideas in our heads"

Unfortunately it didn't work out

[size=100]"I did everythin' a man could do
Breakin' my back just to make us a dime

That won't mean a damn when no one wants to know you"

What's not clear to me as they prepare to return to the homestead are the following lines:
"Woman I know how your feelin'

I've seen the hurt upon your face
How many times do you think that I've cried
Knowin' every day that your heart was gettin' broken
[/size]
Holdin' back your pride till you were nearly chokin'"

Was she upset because she was homesick or was it because it hurt her to see the struggles of her man?

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 4, 2022 9:35 am)

September 4, 2022 4:12 pm  #11

Thanks for the further clarification. I had thought of another song involving going to other cities that also has an unclear aspect: Please Come To Boston by Dave Loggins. I think that the fact that he keeps trying to persuade his girlfriend to go elsewhere but isn't successful, would indicate that he'll return home to Tennessee -- and the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Please_Come_to_Boston would go along with that.
Another song that involves going to another city but then planning to go back home is Valdy's Simple Life (Ode To L.A.), a #16 hit in Canada in 1973. Although Los Angeles isn't named in the lyrics (which you can find at https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/valdy/simple-life-ode-to-l-a-14), the reference in the title makes it clear that it's about the singer not wanting to live in L.A. and planning to return to where he's come from. 
I keep pushing the boundaries of what might qualify here, but I thought I'd mention these songs since you've liked what I've been suggesting so far. I've long had an affinity for these types of songs, so I thought of all of the ones I've mentioned within a few hours of reading your post. 

September 5, 2022 1:38 am  #12

I might as well throw in a couple of country music classics...
"Pick Me Up On Your Way Down" ... Charlie Walker (1958)
"Ballad Of A Teenage Queen" ... Johnny Cash (1958)

September 5, 2022 7:34 am  #13

Just remembered another one that involves going to other cities and then returning to Tennessee: Rock N' Roll (I Gave You The Best Years Of My Life) by Mac Davis. 

September 5, 2022 11:02 am  #14

Here's one that's only coming to mind because I heard it recently on an oldies show here that plays a lot of lesser-known records: Tommy Roe's The Folk Singer. The singer in question leaves behind a girl in the mountains when he becomes famous, but one day finds he can't sing any more ... he ends up returning to her and life in the mountains again.

September 5, 2022 7:25 pm  #15

Some more possibilities ...
Detroit City - Bobby Bare or Tom Jones
Do You Know The Way To San Jose - Dionne Warwick
Midnight Train To Georgia - Gladys Knight & The Pips
Take Me Back To Chicago - Chicago
Goin' Back To Indiana - Jackson 5

Board footera