The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2022 10:37 am  #1

"Sweet Nothin's"

Has anyone been able to clarify what the male voice whispers to Brenda Lee in that song?

October 3, 2022 1:48 pm  #2

Re: "Sweet Nothin's"

I believe it is just a gibberish whisper.

Tom Diehl

October 4, 2022 10:56 am  #3

I believe the sweet nothings being whispered into her ear is “my, my baby, you have a perfect derriere”.

This post causes me to remember back to when I was fifteen and was just in the process of waking up early one Saturday morning.  I then heard a young girl whisper into my ear “uh huh honey…..alright”.  That gave me quite a start.  I was disappointed to find out that it was just one of the neighbors showing off their new Hi-Fi.

October 4, 2022 1:08 pm  #4

I think that Tom has it right that it was just gibberish. I can't recall now for sure, but I may have actually heard of someone involved with the recording stating that this was the case. I will add that Lee was only 14 when it was made and had yet to have had a top 40 hit, and so I would think that everyone involved would have wanted to play it safe and not have the whispered part be anything that could cause problems. So I can see where ironically, using gibberish would have made perfect sense under the circumstances.

October 5, 2022 9:21 am  #5

Dear music friends,
Thank you for your opinions and observations.
I think Tom wrote it succinctly and clearly. Jim added a little joke and flashback and Lorne provided a logical explanation 
as to why given Brenda Lee's age there was only unintelligible whispering.
Thank you once again.

October 5, 2022 3:01 pm  #6

If I may, I would like to amend my above post to say that I am ninety-nine percent certain that the sweet nothings being whispered into her ear is “my, my baby, you have a perfect derriere” and that I am one hundred percent certain that actual English words are being spoken.

October 5, 2022 5:30 pm  #7

I can't say anything about it, only believe it because my English is poor.
That's why I'm asking here on a forum where there are native speakers.

October 6, 2022 7:33 am  #8

For those who are interested, I cut out the whisper and made it louder.
https://vocaroo.com/1lqB9ieG2Cwi

Board footera