The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 11, 2022 8:46 am  #1

Pioneering DJ Art Laboe, who coined 'oldies but goodies,' dies at 97

PALM SPRINGS, Calif. — Art Laboe, the pioneering DJ credited with helping end segregation in Southern California, has died. He was 97.
Laboe died Friday night after catching pneumonia, said Joanna Morones, a spokesperson for Laboe's production company, Dart Entertainment.
Laboe's last show was produced last week and broadcast Sunday night.
https://www.npr.org/2022/10/10/1127926188/dj-art-laboe-la-california-oldies-but-goodies-dies

October 20, 2022 1:45 pm  #2

Re: Pioneering DJ Art Laboe, who coined 'oldies but goodies,' dies at 97

Art Laboe's concept of "Oldies But Goodies" albums pioneered putting various pop music artists on one record and marketing it to the masses.  He originally planned for it to be for just the Southern California area but it took off around the country and reached #12 on the Billboard LP chart back in the Fall of 1959.  I happened to hear him on the radio (probably KRLA) one night in 1972 as he declared his religious belief with his audience.  Since we shared our common beliefs, I wrote him a letter thanking him for his expression and for letting his audience know where he stood.  I wrote the note on my radio station letterhead (KEVA) and sent it on it's way.  About two weeks later, I got a package in the mail.  Inside from Art Laboe were the 12 "Oldies But Goodies" vinyl discs available at that time.  Today, they are among the most prized of all my collection.  Thank you, Art Laboe, for you truly shared the memories with us.

October 20, 2022 2:41 pm  #3

Re: Pioneering DJ Art Laboe, who coined 'oldies but goodies,' dies at 97

Jim Southern wrote:

Art Laboe's concept of "Oldies But Goodies" albums pioneered putting various pop music artists on one record and marketing it to the masses.  He originally planned for it to be for just the Southern California area but it took off around the country and reached #12 on the Billboard LP chart back in the Fall of 1959.  I happened to hear him on the radio (probably KRLA) one night in 1972 as he declared his religious belief with his audience.  Since we shared our common beliefs, I wrote him a letter thanking him for his expression and for letting his audience know where he stood.  I wrote the note on my radio station letterhead (KEVA) and sent it on it's way.  About two weeks later, I got a package in the mail.  Inside from Art Laboe were the 12 "Oldies But Goodies" vinyl discs available at that time.  Today, they are among the most prized of all my collection.  Thank you, Art Laboe, for you truly shared the memories with us.

Sounds like he beat K-Tel to the punch by about 10 years. Maybe he should have been given a cut of K-Tel's profits for coming up with the concept.

Board footera