The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2022 12:04 pm  #1

Rock and Roll, Rockabilly Pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis Dies at 87

Rock and roll and rockabilly pioneer and rock and roll hall of fame and country music hall of fame inductee Jerry Lee Lewis has died. His death was confirmed by his publicist in a statement that read in part, “Lewis, perhaps the last true, great icon of the birth of rock ‘n’ roll, whose marriage of blues, gospel, country, honky-tonk and raw, pounding stage performances so threatened a young Elvis Presley that it made him cry, has died.” He was 87.
https://americansongwriter.com/rock-and-roll-rockabilly-pioneer-jerry-lee-lewis-dies-at-87/

October 28, 2022 1:12 pm  #2

Re: Rock and Roll, Rockabilly Pioneer Jerry Lee Lewis Dies at 87

To be perfectly honest, I didn't dislike it, but I was not a particular fan of his "Whole Lotta Shakin" stuff... BUT I absolutely loved, loved, loved his country tracks. I rank him right up there with country greats like Merle Haggard and George Jones. He was every bit their equal. And nobody, NO BODY could pound the pianner like the ole killer. R.I.P. Jerry Lee, and thank you, thank you for the music.

October 28, 2022 2:21 pm  #3

One of the thrills of my days in the USAF was seeing Jerry Lee perform at the Airman's Club at Shepard AFB near Wichita Falls, TX in the Fall of 1960.  It didn't matter who the audience was or how many were there, Jerry Lee gave 100% to the fans.  I also remember the day KMOR got their copy of "Another Place, Another Time".  I figured to listen to it and then take it home.  But as soon as the song registered on my brain, I took it into the control room and told the on-air DJ to play it next, because Jerry Lee was at home in Country Music!!  Thank you, Jerry Lee for the music, the memories and the stories.  A True Giant!

October 28, 2022 2:29 pm  #4

Last man standing for sure! Loved his music and loved the book. Got meet him a couple of times and am still flattered that he called me killer when I accidentally "crashed' his birthday party.

October 30, 2022 6:14 am  #5

The influence lives on - no less an icon that Bob Dylan paid tribute in song to the Killer in a U.K. concert over the weekend. 

Bob Dylan covers Jerry Lee Lewis in tribute at Nottingham gig

Board footera