The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 16, 2022 7:26 pm  #1

Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat Was Originally About A Suicidal Comedian

I accidentally found this great video from a TV network called "Decades," and in this excerpt, Al Stewart talks about how he came up with "The Year of the Cat" and what it was originally about, before the record company asked him to completely rewrite it. I had no idea it was never played in his native UK, even though the song was a huge hit in North America. It has always been one of my favorite LPs of all time.

November 23, 2022 7:45 pm  #2

Re: Al Stewart's Year Of The Cat Was Originally About A Suicidal Comedian

I love Year of the Cat - one of my favourite songs. I've seen a number of interviews with Al Stewart and he always comes across as such an amiable person. And I love his laugh!! I found another video interview of Al in which he and Alan Parsons talk about Year of the Cat and how Al didn't initially like the idea of the sax solo in the song.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYN_QupQJ_M

November 23, 2022 9:13 pm  #3

Thanks. That was fantastic.

November 23, 2022 9:50 pm  #4

I just found another video. It's one of the "reaction" videos where young people listen to a song for the first time. This is three guys listening to Year of the Cat and watch their reactions!! I share their enthusiasm. I wish I can remember exactly what I felt  the first time I heard the song. I know I instantly liked it because I went out and bought the album the next day!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm7YVh_V-50

November 25, 2022 6:56 am  #5

Very Cool!! Thanks for posting this. Lovely story.

Board footera