The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2022 12:29 pm  #1

Delbert McClinton's Harmonica on Hey Baby

I seem to recall somewhere that the harmonica intro wasn't actually planned, and that Delbert just happened to be in the studio when Bruce cut the track, and added the intro as an ad-libbed afterthought. Can anyone confirm that?  If it is in fact true, it was a stroke of luck for everyone involved. That intro was a huge contribution to the track's success.

Last edited by Cloud9 (November 27, 2022 12:30 pm)

November 27, 2022 7:53 pm  #2

Re: Delbert McClinton's Harmonica on Hey Baby

Interesting question, and based on what I found at https://www.vintagerockmag.com/2022/05/story-of-the-song-hey-baby/ you are correct: 
Armed with Hey! Baby, Dream Girl and a couple of other collaborative efforts, Channel took the songs to Major Bill Smith who owned a studio in Fort Worth, premiering them on guitar at Smith’s home. The following week, Channel was ensconced in Clifford Herring Studios where he met Delbert McClinton and his band, The Straitjackets. McClinton ended up collaborating on Hey! Baby with memorable results, picking up the harmonica on its second take. although Channel wryly remarked: “Nobody told him to do it.” The session’s musical director, Marvin Montgomery, also thought that the tune needed an additional instrument, duly providing piano on the third and final take.  

Channel would also agree with you regarding its contribution to the song's success. From the same article:
Upon his arrival home, Channel was informed that he’d be performing some concerts in England, but McClinton would have to stay behind. It didn’t go down well with Channel who told Smith: “I’m not going to England without Delbert – his sound is half the record.”  

November 29, 2022 9:19 am  #3

I remember reading somewhere that John Lennon was smitten by the harmonica on that song, and that he approached Delbert for a brief lesson and then added a harp refrain to Love Me Do.

November 29, 2022 10:02 am  #4

I read that also.  Sounds like Delbert had an influence, whether intentionally or not, on a number of hits.

November 29, 2022 1:24 pm  #5

Yes, I found it interesting to read about the influence that McClinton had on Lennon in the next paragraph of the article. Love the harmonica on both Beatles records. 
Arrangements were made, and for a month they performed in the UK, which included a few shows with The Beatles: “One night backstage, John Lennon asked Delbert to play his harmonica for him as he really liked that sound. Delbert pulled it out of his pocket and played him a little bit. John asked, ‘How do you do all that? My harmonica just has a button to change keys.’ Delbert replied, ‘Just keep practising. It’ll come to you.’” Lennon later integrated what he’d learned from McClinton on his harmonica parts for The Beatles’ Love Me Do and Please Please Me.

Board footera