The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2022 3:13 pm  #1

Music Books You Can Almost Hear

They're not podcasts or spoken word versions, but an article in Variety Magazine caught my eye regarding new tomes about some famous 60s artists. (There are others listed from different eras, but they not as interesting to me.) 

One is about The Byrds and the reviewer says it takes a different approach to the iconic group and calls the resultant volume "stunning." 

"The editors licensed virtually every known photo of the group from the era, sat down with surviving founding members Roger McGuinn, David Crosby and Chris Hillman, and got them to share their memories of the moments, the band, the era, each other and lots more."

Another one for the shelf is called “A Song for Everyone: the Story of Creedence Clearwater Revival,” about the brief but shining history of the group that began as the Golliwogs. One caveat: John Fogerty refused to be interviewed for the book, so that's a significant omission. 

Finally, there's "The Philosophy Of Modern Song" by Bob Dylan. Yes, Dylan wrote a book but this one isn't about his music - instead it's about other artists he admires, some of them quite eclectic. The author warns his prose is a bit of an adjustment and that this volume is not for everyone. 

"His take on Eddy Arnold’s “You Don’t Know Me”: “A serial killer would sing this song.” (!) Of Rosemary Clooney’s “Come On-a My House,” he says, “This is the song of the deviant, the pedophile, the mass murderer.” 

There are also new books out on Paul McCartney's legacy and an "oral history" of Sly & The Family Stone.

You can read the reviews for yourself at the link.

The Best Music Books of 2022 

Last edited by aflem (December 16, 2022 3:23 pm)

Board footera