The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2018 12:04 pm  #1

New board looks great

WOW! New board looks GREAT! 

A new post brings an old thread ot the top. 

If this is like most boards of this type, old posts never die and they can be searched. 

There is even a YouTube button which I will use for a children’s song I asked about a few times on the old board.

On the downside, it looks like carriage return/line feeds don’t transfer in when pasting from MSWord.

AND I can edit (or delete) a previous post!  YEAH!

Last edited by Taz (December 30, 2018 12:05 pm)

December 30, 2018 12:28 pm  #2

Re: New board looks great

Can do avatars.

... and add a signature.

Last edited by Taz (December 30, 2018 12:41 pm)

December 30, 2018 7:04 pm  #3

Thanks very much, Taz ... I appreciate your very positive comments. Boardhost pretty much deserves all of the credit, although I've started to look at what options might be available to make things even better -- and I'm definitely open to any suggestions that others have. But right now I'm just glad to see so many people joining ... it's certainly made setting this up worthwhile. 

December 31, 2018 1:25 pm  #4

Hope my comments don’t sound like I’m critical of the old board, it was wonderful too and I’m glad it continues here.  I thank Ron again for hosting it all those years. 

I like the format here better but I am used to it from another board I belonged to for many, many years.  I understand some people might prefer the simplicity of the old board and I know memory on the web to retain every post costs money. 

I do wonder how this FREE board is paid for.  I’ve seen many comments about FREE Facebook and others.  What some say is if you can’t figure out what they’re selling, they’re selling YOU.  Hopefully this is no more than ads appearing in the margins of Google searches for Roy Drusky CDs on Amazon and ebay.

December 31, 2018 11:42 pm  #5

I'm also used to the format here, because it's similar to what my local radio forum uses. I actually chose it somewhat by accident, because it's the default format on the main Boardhost page -- and because I was wanting to set up something as quickly as possible, I didn't realize that I could choose another option. Both versions have their benefits, but hopefully people will adapt to this one now that I've chosen it. 

As for paying for this site, I don't know how Boardhost is doing this. But they have been around for 20 years, and I don't recall ever seeing anything negative about them. So hopefully that's a good sign. 

January 1, 2019 3:23 am  #6

Thanks Lorne.  We'll see where this goes.  Old music doesn't die, it simply fades off into the sunset!

January 1, 2019 9:16 am  #7

Many thanks Lorne. Wishing you the best from what Ron started. Music and memories always will linger in one's mind. Like an ending to a song any true music lover will always cherish the memory. Ron's did that for me and hopefully this one will continue the road. Continued Success in 2019 and years to come!

January 1, 2019 9:51 am  #8

Thanks Lorne.  I hope Ron stops in every so often.

January 1, 2019 8:13 pm  #9

The formatting for the messages on this new board is the same as what I'm used to on the BSN message board, but they don't have a mobile version and this one does, so the mobile version looks very weird and hard to follow for me. I'm hoping I can find a way to turn the mobile view off.

Last edited by StereoTom (January 1, 2019 8:26 pm)

Tom Diehl

January 1, 2019 8:56 pm  #10

Is there a way to tell which posts are new and which you've already read?

January 1, 2019 10:01 pm  #11

StereoTom wrote:

... I'm hoping I can find a way to turn the mobile view off.

Go to "My Options"
Click on "Viewing Options"
Uncheck "Show me a mobile format when I'm using a mobile device."
Click "Submit"

Last edited by Taz (January 1, 2019 10:04 pm)

January 1, 2019 10:16 pm  #12

It's me Karen wrote:

Is there a way to tell which posts are new and which you've already read?

Under the thread titles, it shows “[ Go to new posts ]” but you have to be logged in for it to show.  The old board must have used cookies to know who you were.

January 2, 2019 1:35 am  #13

Taz wrote:

StereoTom wrote:

... I'm hoping I can find a way to turn the mobile view off.

Go to "My Options"
Click on "Viewing Options"
Uncheck "Show me a mobile format when I'm using a mobile device."
Click "Submit"

Thanks, I ended up doing just that, while exploring the site earlier. At least now on my cell phone it will be easier to navigate around here.

Tom Diehl

January 2, 2019 9:37 am  #14

Thanks Taz. Trying to get used to a new format.

January 2, 2019 10:07 am  #15

Yes, I appreciate Taz helping us out with that. I find that the "Go to new posts" feature is very useful on my local radio forum as well. The only thing I'll add is that I don't find that this link disappears right away after I've checked out a new post ... it would seem that it lasts for a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure how long that is. I looked to see if there's a setting that I can control in that regard, but didn't come across anything. But as you say, Karen, I think it's mainly a case of us all getting used to how this new format works. I appreciate everyone's efforts to make the best of how it works, and it's nice to see that we're getting some good discussions going here already. 

January 2, 2019 10:29 am  #16

Lorne wrote:

Yes, I appreciate Taz helping us out with that.

Glad to do it, I haven’t been able to contribute anything to the musical knowledge so at least by doing this little bit I feel like I’m contributing something. 

Lorne wrote:

Yes, The only thing I'll add is that I don't find that this link disappears right away after I've checked out a new post ... it would seem that it lasts for a certain amount of time, but I'm not sure how long that is.

I noticed the same thing.  After I posted last night, I logged off for about 5 minutes and when I logged back in the "Go to new posts" had updated. It also seems to only show new posts since the last login unlike the old board which still showed ALL unread post in a different color.

January 2, 2019 10:39 am  #17

Hi Lorne.  Thanks for the update about the new board.  I like the format.

January 3, 2019 3:57 pm  #18

Hello all, I was surprised that Ron decided to end his site, but am thrilled that Lorne has resurrected it. Thank you Lorne! 

January 3, 2019 7:46 pm  #19

Although I don't think that what I've set up here even comes close to what Ron did, I very much appreciate all the positive feedback. I'm glad, and honoured (sorry, but you're going to have to get used to the moderator using Canadian spellings now ☺) to help keep the flame alive. 

Last edited by Lorne (January 13, 2019 7:25 pm)

January 13, 2019 9:53 am  #20

I'm so excited that we can edit our posts.  Not that I make a lot of errors. Ahem

January 13, 2019 7:38 pm  #21

It's me Karen wrote:

I'm so excited that we can edit our posts.  Not that I make a lot of errors. Ahem

No, you don't ... but I'm sure that some people here won't miss The Spellcheck Squad. Speaking of which, I have to admit that when I saw the following article recently, I thought of the Squad. 
https://theheartysoul.com/people-point-out-grammar-mistakes-jerks/

January 14, 2019 6:03 am  #22

Lorne wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

No, you don't ... but I'm sure that some people here won't miss The Spellcheck Squad. Speaking of which, I have to admit that when I saw the following article recently, I thought of the Squad. 
https://theheartysoul.com/people-point-out-grammar-mistakes-jerks/

that was funny!

January 14, 2019 9:20 am  #23

Yes, the article made me smile as well. And the irony is that I can be guilty of mixing up some of the spellings that are mentioned, despite knowing which one is correct ... I just choose the wrong one sometimes, and then it will bother me afterward if I see that I've done that. So I'm very glad that we can now edit our posts here as well. 

Board footera