The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2022 10:47 am  #1

True ONE HIT Wonders

Just curious. What, if any artist(s) had a title reach #1 on Billboard or CashBox but who never had another entry, before or after, anywhere on either chart?

December 29, 2022 11:50 am  #2

Re: True ONE HIT Wonders

Good question, as these are indeed the truest one-hit wonders of all. So often when I've seen lists of Billboard one-hit wonders, I've been well aware of some of the artists included having had songs that were at least minor hits on the Hot 100 (or its predecessors) -- and often they weren't even that minor. I did some searching and found the following list that I think is quite good, as I've seen most of the songs mentioned before in this context (other than the two that are from after 2000).
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/goldwax317/ultimate_one_hit_wonders/

December 29, 2022 12:14 pm  #3

There is one artist on the list who did also make the Hot 100 as part of a duo: Vangelis, who recorded four albums with Jon Anderson of Yes as Jon and Vangelis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_and_Vangelis#Singles

December 29, 2022 2:53 pm  #4

There was a radio station that had a countdown many, many years ago of one hit wonders.  The Number One one hit wonder was Joan Weber, whose song, “Let Me Go, Lover” become Number One on January 1, 1955 on the Billboard’s “Most Played by Jockeys” chart.  Joan Weber had four non-hits singles after that.

December 29, 2022 3:39 pm  #5

And even then, it almost wasn't a hit. As I understand it, "Let Me Go Lover" only became a smash it after it appeared as part of a CBS play on "Studio One." I think it was the first time a TV show helped to sell a record, and it opened the eyes of executives to the power of the then still-young boob tube. If it hadn't been featured in that show, no one may have ever heard it or at least it certainly would never have been the success it became.

December 29, 2022 10:03 pm  #6

Waayy back when  Kasey did his Top 40 one hit wonders, # 1 was Zagar And Evans who never hit Top 100 again, let alone Top 40.   In more recent times did   Los  Del Rios ever chart again after Macarena ?

December 29, 2022 10:05 pm  #7

aflem wrote:

And even then, it almost wasn't a hit. As I understand it, "Let Me Go Lover" only became a smash it after it appeared as part of a CBS play on "Studio One." I think it was the first time a TV show helped to sell a record, and it opened the eyes of executives to the power of the then still-young boob tube. If it hadn't been featured in that show, no one may have ever heard it or at least it certainly would never have been the success it became.

Tragic story, it could have been Ronnie when he was reasearcher for AT40. Sent to do piece on her for One Hit Wonders and found her long term patient at mental hospital.   They didn't annnouce that but worked their way around it delicately. 

December 29, 2022 10:42 pm  #8

Scotty wrote:

Waayy back when  Kasey did his Top 40 one hit wonders, # 1 was Zagar And Evans who never hit Top 100 again, let alone Top 40.   In more recent times did   Los  Del Rios ever chart again after Macarena ?

I thought of them as well, but I checked and they did reach #57 with Macarena Christmas. There's also the complication that it was the Bayside Boys remix of Macarena that went to #1, while Los Del Rio's original version got to #23. I know Sheriff is on the list for When I'm With You even though it charted twice for them, but in that case it was the same recording that charted twice. 

December 29, 2022 10:51 pm  #9

Scotty wrote:

Tragic story, it could have been Ronnie when he was reasearcher for AT40. Sent to do piece on her for One Hit Wonders and found her long term patient at mental hospital.   They didn't annnouce that but worked their way around it delicately.

Although I've forgotten if Ronnie shared that story on the previous board, what you're saying fits with the following info from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joan_Weber#Later_years given that he was East Coast Researcher for AT40 at the time (and Weber died in New Jersey in 1981).
During her final years, she lived a reclusive life before moving to a mental institution. Columbia Records' efforts to send her royalty checks failed, as they were returned to sender as "address unknown". For this reason, chart program American Top 40 ranked Weber at number one on a special program featuring the "Top 40 Disappearing Acts", which was broadcast in 1975.

Board footera