The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2023 11:36 am  #1

I'm listening to Chuck Berry and I think - "Why not Tchaikovsky?"

Everyone knows that big hit. Chuck Berry sings - "Roll over Beethoven, tell Tchaikovsky the news".
My English is very poor, but I wondered if there was a (concert) recording in which Chuck Berry switched the composers in his lyrics for fun.
So - that he sang "Roll over Tchaikovsky, tell Beethoven the news". He would phrase it the same, both names are three syllables long.
If I'm thinking too stupidly, then forgive me.

January 2, 2023 12:02 pm  #2

Re: I'm listening to Chuck Berry and I think - "Why not Tchaikovsky?"

You're certainly right that it would work in terms of the syllables, but I doubt that he would have been inclined to do that. The first thing that came to my mind is that I think "Roll over Beethoven" is a bit easier for an English speaker to sing, and the lyrics have that line much more than the one about Tchaikovsky. So I wouldn't think that Berry would have wanted to change things around ... I know I wouldn't have. 

January 2, 2023 11:52 pm  #3

Mroldies, your post made me recall a post I did several years ago about “Roll Over Beethoven” and thought since we were on the subject, the board might find it interesting to see it again, or, maybe not.

What I posted was what I remembered from a “news brief” published in the Wall Street Journal in the late nineteen seventies.  While the Wall Street Journal “news brief” is not inaccurate, it compresses a complicated chain of events that took place over several years.  Here’s my original post:

In the early Seventies, New York City had two Classical Music (classical as in Beethoven, Bach and Brahms) radio stations.  The second place one was struggling with a low but very loyal listenership.  The second-place radio station finally was sold and the new owners changed the station’s format to Rock ‘n’ Roll Oldies.  The second-place radio station’s loyal listeners were, of course, very displeased with this outcome, but resigned to accept it.  However, the first song the new radio station played in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Oldies format was “Roll Over Beethoven” by Chuck Berry.  This angered the loyal listeners so deeply that they became militant, organized and sued in court, and got their original format back.

January 3, 2023 10:37 am  #4

Thanks Jim, that's an interesting story.
Today I listened to the B-sides of some of Berry's singles. I had never heard those songs and instrumentals before.
"Drifting Heart", Deep Feeling", "Lajaunda", "Blue Feeling", "Hey Pedro", "O Rangutan",...
The beginning of his song "Brenda Lee" is reminiscent of Arthur Smith's "Guitar Boogie".

Board footera