The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2022 4:20 pm  #1

Dionne Warwick Special Airing On CNN New Year's Day

The all-news network, which is getting out of the documentary business, has at least one more trick up its sleeve, with a documentary saluting Dionne Warwick. Here's how it's described in the pages of TV Guide, when it airs on the night of Jan. 1st:

January 4, 2023 5:07 pm  #2

Re: Dionne Warwick Special Airing On CNN New Year's Day

Don't know how many saw this, but it was pretty good. One story I'd never heard - Burt Bacharach wrote "Make It Easy On Yourself" and promised it to Warwick. When it came out and was a huge hit for Jerry Butler, the still relatively unknown singer was furious.

"That didn't sit too well with me," she remembers. "So when I got to New York, I kind let them know, uh-uh, you don't do that to me. One thing I want you to both understand is there's something you can never do to Dionne and that's to try to make her over, so don't even think of it."

Not long after, lyricist Hal David came up with a song based on that incident called "Don't Make Me Over." And despite rejection by some radio stations, that became one of Warwick's first big hits. A great story behind the origins of a great tune.  

I've looked to see if this special is being repeated but so far, it isn't on CNN's schedule. Still, if you missed it, you can see it commercial free at no charge here. Well worth 90 mins. of your time.  

Board footera