The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2023 8:35 pm  #1

PBS' American Masters Profiles Life Of Roberta Flack

She was recently diagnosed with ALS and will never sing again. But Roberta Flack, who had hits with "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," "Killing Me Softly With His Song" and "Jesse," has not only a rich musical history, but one of fighting for the rights of her people. That's one of many things PBS' "American Masters" will be examining when the show does a major profile of the artist this week. 

It airs Tuesday night (Jan. 24th) at 9 PM Eastern, but it could be on at different times in other areas.  Here's the PBS description:

"American Masters: Roberta Flack follows the music icon from a piano lounge through her rise to stardom. From “First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” to “Killing Me Softly,” Flack’s virtuosity was inseparable from her commitment to civil rights. Detailing her story in her own words, the film features exclusive access to Flack’s archives and interviews with Rev. Jesse Jackson, Peabo Bryson and more."

It turns out Flack was a child prodigy on the piano, as this video extra explains. 

If you miss it, it usually airs a second time, often overnight when it's more convenient to DVR. In the case of WNED, my local affiliate in Buffalo, it reruns early Thursday morning at midnight. Your local listings will tell you when it comes around in your area. 

Board footera