The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 22, 2023 11:03 am  #1

Does Anyone Remembers These "Cereal Box" Records?

I have no idea how I missed this, but apparently some cereal companies used to put out records you could cut out and play on your turntable. They were found on the back of the boxes they sold in the supermarket. They've become quite collectible these days, but how it is I never saw one or heard of these before is beyond me.

Considering there was just a thin layer of plastic and cardboard underneath it, the first one below sounds a lot better than I would have expected.

Anyone recall when these were being put out?

February 22, 2023 2:37 pm  #2

Re: Does Anyone Remembers These "Cereal Box" Records?

I wondered when I saw your post if I'd seen one of these by Bobby Sheman. Around 1971, I remember seeing that his latest single was being advertised as a giveaway on cereal boxes that I saw in a supermarket; however, I thought that it was a flexi disc. So I did some searching and found that, while there were some "cereal box" records by Sherman, the theme from his short-lived TV show Getting Together had been made available as a flexi disc in cereal boxes -- and this fits with when I recall seeing this record. Ironically, I had thought at the time that this giveaway was a sign that his recording career was going downhill, and that they were doing this because stations were no longer playing his records -- and the fact that I never heard another new record by him again made me think that I had been right. But from what you posted and from what I found as a result of my searches, I gather that many hit records were promoted in this way as well.

February 22, 2023 3:41 pm  #3

The cereal box records I'd never seen. Perhaps I'd stopped eating that stuff by the time they came out. I do remember a "record" being included in a Mad Magazine a long time ago. It's since become a classic of its kind. Alfred E. Neuman er- "singing" - "It's A Gas."

Last edited by aflem (February 22, 2023 3:41 pm)

February 23, 2023 11:09 pm  #4

I own a couple by Bobby Sherman, including a Canadian one.

Tom Diehl

Board footera