The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2023 4:46 pm  #1

The "Pleasant Valley Sunday" Lyric You Never Heard Before

The song was a hit for the Monkees, but it was co-written by the legendary Carole King as a protest against suburbia, which she hated.

And in her version, there is a key difference in one of the lines that shows what the song was really about.

The Lyric Change The Monkees Made To Pleasant Valley Sunday

April 1, 2023 3:21 pm  #2

Re: The "Pleasant Valley Sunday" Lyric You Never Heard Before

The linked Pleasant Valley Sunday article from March 30, 2023 contains an egregious error.

As anyone who was paying attention to the record charts at that time knows, no singles were released from the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album.  Therefore, no song from the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album ever made the Billboard Hot 100 and Johnny Rivers could not have possibly heard “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band” on the juke box.

Lucille Barilla list the top five songs on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week ending August 26, 1967 EXCEPT she says “Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band” was the Number Two song.  The actual Number Two song was “All You Need Is Love” by the Beatles.  The Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album was Number One on the Billboard 200 album chart that week.

I am astounded that such an error could have been made.  I did a Google search and did not find any reference to the Billboard Hot 100 that was not accurate.  Does anyone know how this error could have been made? 

April 1, 2023 3:52 pm  #3

Re: The "Pleasant Valley Sunday" Lyric You Never Heard Before

This is not true either:
The Monkees held steady at number three. In addition, rounding out the top five in the first week of August 1967
was The Doors' "Light My Fire" and Aretha Franklin's "Baby I Love You."
Publicists on the Internet just like to make things up sometimes.
It's exactly the same in my country...

Last edited by mroldies (April 1, 2023 3:53 pm)

Board footera