The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2023 8:21 am  #1

Did This Artist Steal Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On? Court To Decide

Shades of My Sweet Lord! 

It's been a while since there's been a major accusation of plagiarism in music, but a court in New York will be looking into the latest one. It involves a 2014 Ed Sheeran song called "Thinking Out Loud," and the heirs of the co-writer of Marvin Gaye's iconic "Let's Get It On" claim he took their melody and used it in his song. 

Have to admit I wasn't overly familiar with the Sheeran tune, so I listened to it and frankly, while there are similarities, to argue it's a rip-off seems a bit of a stretch. But a jury may beg to differ as the case unfolds in a Manhattan courtroom.

"While the jury will hear the recordings of both songs, probably many times, their lyrics — and vibes — are legally insignificant. Jurors are supposed to only consider the raw elements of melody, harmony and rhythm that make up the composition of “Let’s Get It On,” as documented on sheet music filed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office."

Did Ed Sheeran hit pilfer Marvin Gaye classic? Trial to tell

So what's your verdict? Here are both songs:

April 24, 2023 7:05 pm  #2

Re: Did This Artist Steal Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On? Court To Decide

Honestly?  With hundreds of thousands of pieces of music out there, there HAS TO BE SOME similarities between parts of guitar riffs, interludes, bridges.  Where do you draw the line?  That said, I have to say that there are probably more similarities between "Let's Get It On" and "Thinking Out Loud."  Certainly more than the plagiarism suit filed by The Chiffons and "He's So Fine" against George Harrison for "My Sweet Lord."  Were I on a jury adjudicating the Gaye-Sheehan case, I could easily conclude the same level of guilt with the same adjudication summary: "subconscious plagiarism."  In my humble opinion, that is more likely to favor the plaintiff (which it was in Chiffons-Harrison suit) than a straight-up "plagiaristic intent."  Note: in the end Harrison admitted "inspiration" from O Happy Days.
All that said, I personally thought that the band, Spirit, who sued Led Zepp (Taurus vs Stairway To Heaven) and lost, got the short end of that stick.  Such a classic acoustic guitar riff opening to Zepp's Stairway To Heaven is similar enough to the guitar riff in Taurus to warrant an award or some sort of settlement. 
In the end, regardless of the similarities, or dissimilarities, I could understand if there was at least some sort of settlement but far less than the damages filed for in these suits.

Last edited by Little Rich (April 24, 2023 7:08 pm)

April 26, 2023 9:16 am  #3

There are not an infinite number of melodies or rhythms or musical instruments. So there will still be such cases.
Here, in such cases, it is said for fun: Unfortunately, the musical score only has five lines and four spaces...

April 29, 2023 2:21 pm  #4

I heard something about this in the news.  I really wasn’t paying attention, so I didn’t get the source, but the claim made was that Marvin Gaye did not invent the chord sequence and it had been used in songs prior to Let's Get It On.

May 4, 2023 12:08 pm  #5

Decision in - Not liable

May 4, 2023 12:22 pm  #6

May 4, 2023 9:13 pm  #7

May 5, 2023 2:35 pm  #8

I think the first such lawsuit I heard of is when Boyce and Hart sued Johnny Nash, claiming he ripped off Hold Me Tight from Last Train To Clarksville. They won the suit, and although I can hear bits that sound similar, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say he stole the melody.

May 5, 2023 11:24 pm  #9

I really like "Hold Me Tight" and I also like "Last Train to Clarksville", but I had never heard about this. So I did a search, and the best that I could come up with was a Spanish-language site at https://www.similarrock.com/johnny-nash-the-monkees/ that Google translates as saying:
As Paco points out in the section of this website intended to suggest similarities between songs, "Hold Me Tight" by Johnny Nash is reminiscent of "Last Train to Clarksville" by The Monkees.

So I'd be interested in any further details about this if they're available. I do remember, many years ago, hearing an announcer comment on Andy KIm's "Rainbow Ride" having a bit of a similarity to "Last Train to Clarksville". But I don't believe that this was enough to lead to any legal action. 

May 6, 2023 7:16 am  #10

Lorne wrote:

I really like "Hold Me Tight" and I also like "Last Train to Clarksville", but I had never heard about this. So I did a search, and the best that I could come up with was a Spanish-language site at https://www.similarrock.com/johnny-nash-the-monkees/ that Google translates as saying:
As Paco points out in the section of this website intended to suggest similarities between songs, "Hold Me Tight" by Johnny Nash is reminiscent of "Last Train to Clarksville" by The Monkees.

So I'd be interested in any further details about this if they're available. I do remember, many years ago, hearing an announcer comment on Andy KIm's "Rainbow Ride" having a bit of a similarity to "Last Train to Clarksville". But I don't believe that this was enough to lead to any legal action. 

I was going from memory, and a pretty old memory, which is always a dangerous thing. I tried to find an online version of Bobby Hart's bio book but no luck. 

Board footera