The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 3, 2019 7:55 pm  #1

Male & Female Duets Of The 50s and 60s

There were many great male & female duet performances in the 50s and 60s.  Feel free to comment or chime in with your own favorites.

My top three - in no particular order:

"How High The Moon" - Les Paul and Mary Ford
This video from 1951 demonstrates  Les Paul's amazing guitar technique as well as the unique (for the time) method of recording Mary Ford's voice over her already recorded voice on a tape recorder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkGf1GHAxhE

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
Every time I watch this video I am struck by the obvious chemistry between Marvin and Tammi.  The looks and fond touches between the two of them make this one of my favorite duet performances.  Even though it is lip-synched (recorded at Expo 67 - I recognize the pavilions and the monorail), the chemistry is there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC5PL0XImjw

"That's A Rockin Good Way" - Brook Benton and Dinah Washington
(No video for this one)  This recording makes so obvious the special time that Brook and Dinah must have had in making this record.  The impromptu comments and laughs they exchange (especially at the end of the song) are evidence of the unique chemistry between this dynamic duo.

June 3, 2019 8:21 pm  #2

Re: Male & Female Duets Of The 50s and 60s

I cannot deny your duet performances. all three outstanding.  One comment on Marvin Gaye, Tammi Terrell singing "Ain't No Mountain High Enough": Absolutely no doubt in my mind, theirs is by far the best cover of that song despite Diana Ross' 1970 cover maxing the charts.  The magic chemistry between Gaye and Terrell were BEYOND magic!  Super sound!

June 3, 2019 8:59 pm  #3

Ones that I liked back then......
Art & Dotty Todd...Chanson D'Amour --- The perfect example of "one-hit-wonders".
Steve & Eydie...This Could Be The Start Of Something Big --- Barely made the charts but one of my very favorites.
Frank & Nancy ... Something Stupid --- Really nice blend and a great song

June 4, 2019 2:00 am  #4

My nod would go to Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown, especially their "Something You Got".  Not sure whether their banter was ad-libbed or pre-scripted, but I like it just the same.

June 4, 2019 2:29 pm  #5

Dick and Dee Dee - The Mountain High
Paul and Paula - Hey Paula
Mickey & Sylvia ... Love Is Strange
Jack Blanchard & Misty Morgan - Tennessee Birdwalk
Carleton Carpenter and Debbie Reynolds - Abba Dabba Honeymoon
Inez & Charlie Foxx – Mockingbird
Lee Hazlewood & Nancy Sinatra - Some Velvet Morning/Jackson
Nino Tempo and April Stevens - Deep Purple/Baby Weemus

Seems like somebody’s missing.

Last edited by Taz (June 4, 2019 2:33 pm)

June 4, 2019 6:04 pm  #6

When I made my list I decided to limit it to my top three.  It was very difficult to leave out this performance by Jerry Butler and Betty Everett, from one of the PBS Doo-Wop reunion shows.  TJ Lubinsky tells the story of asking Betty several times to perform, but she refused, saying she couldn't go back on stage after all these years.  Finally TJ convinced her, with the promise of support from Jerry Butler (notice he never lets go of her hand throughout the entire song).  She was quite ill, but agreed to go ahead anyway.  No question this performance deserves mention in this thread.   Unfortunately, Betty Everett died soon after she sang "Let It Be Me" on that PBS stage with Jerry Butler.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPYBExf5OpA

June 5, 2019 11:37 pm  #7

That was one awesome performance.  Made me cry several times.

And he danced with her.  It was so sweet.

Last edited by Flo (June 5, 2019 11:39 pm)

June 6, 2019 2:43 am  #8

Supposedly Brook and Dinah did not get along at all!

June 6, 2019 4:22 pm  #9

You're so right, Flo.  A very moving performance, especially given the circumstances. That little nudge between them as the song ends, to me demonstrates how much it meant for each of them to recreate that song together almost 40 years later.

June 6, 2019 9:38 pm  #10

memorymaster wrote:

Supposedly Brook and Dinah did not get along at all!

Brook was pretty laid back, she was just the opposite and considered him green and beneath her stature . When she told him " stay out of my spot " she wasn't kidding.   She  thought he was well out of her league and according to Shelby Singleton told him he was " a dumb so and so ! " repeatdely.

Last edited by Scotty (June 6, 2019 9:39 pm)

June 7, 2019 9:52 am  #11

I had heard this about Brook and Dinah as well.  However, it is still is one of my favorites.  Dick & Dee Dee were also high on my personal list.

Board footera