The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 21, 2023 8:08 pm  #1

PBS' American Masters To Profile Little Richard

The American Masters series that's been a PBS staple for years usually does a great job of profiling a star or a major historical figure. It could be argued that the person they're looking at early next month is both. The talent getting a tribute was one of the originators of rock and roll - Little Richard.

The show is called "Little Richard: King & Queen Of Rock & Roll," which tells you a lot about the attitude it's taking, and is probably a title that would have pleased Mr. Penniman.

You can watch a preview here, although those in Canada will need a VPN to see the 30 sec. promo.

The show airs on June 2nd, but as always, some PBS stations may air it on a different night, so check in your area as to when it's actually appearing. 

May 21, 2023 11:02 pm  #2

Re: PBS' American Masters To Profile Little Richard

I was lucky enough to be at a concert by Little Richard some years back here in Portland.  I was standing right at the stage and exchanged  some eye contact.  He was somewhat subdued compared to his early years but to be that close to one of the giants is still one of the thrills of my years!

June 4, 2023 10:54 pm  #3

Re: PBS' American Masters To Profile Little Richard

I just finished this American Masters episode and it was terrific. It doesn't matter if you were a Little Richard fan or not, the show points out what an amazing difference he made to rock and roll and how he influenced so many who followed.

If you missed it, there are reruns on PBS stations across the country (check your local listings) or you may be able to watch it online here or on your own local PBS website. This is a great profile of a man who never quite got enough credit. This goes a long way to fixing that injustice. 

Board footera