The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 6, 2023 10:05 am  #1

She Was The Girl From Ipanema

Astrud Gilberto who sang the 1964 hit The Girl From Ipanmea has passed away.

She was 83.

The song was the very first record for the Brazilian artist.

Tall and tan and young and lovely

May she rest in peace

Last edited by unclefester (June 6, 2023 10:09 am)

June 6, 2023 10:33 am  #2

Re: She Was The Girl From Ipanema

Her AP obit indicates her husband, Joao Gilberto, lured her to the recording studio during the making of the "Ipanema" song, promising her a "surprise." It shows how much luck is sometimes involved in the making of a classic.

“I begged him to tell me what it was, but he adamantly refused, and would just say: ‘Wait and see ...’ Later on, while rehearsing with Stan [Getz], as they were in the midst of going over the song ‘The Girl from Ipanema,’ Joao casually asked me to join in, and sing a chorus in English, after he had just sung the first chorus in Portuguese. So, I did just that,” she explained.

“When we were finished performing the song, Joao turned to Stan, and said something like: ‘Tomorrow Astrud sing on record… What do you think?’ Stan was very receptive, in fact very enthusiastic; he said it was a great idea. The rest, of course, as one would say, ‘is history.’”

Astrud Gilberto, singer of ‘The Girl from Ipanema,’ dead at 83

June 6, 2023 3:08 pm  #3

I apologize for this post as I know how I feel when other posters “correct” my posts.  However, I feel the record should be set straight.  The girl from Ipanema was Helo Pinheiro.

At the age of 17, Helo Pinheiro became the source of inspiration for the song “The Girl from Ipanema” when songwriters Antonio Carlos Jobim (music) and Vinicius de Moraes (lyrics) saw her walking on the beach in Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro being tall and tanned and young and lovely.

In 2001, the heirs of the composers sued Helo for using the original title of the song “Garota de Ipanema” as the name of her jewelry boutique; Helo won the court case.

June 18, 2023 7:47 am  #4

Here's an interesting article on Astrud Gilberto's life as a resident of Philadelphia.
https://www.inquirer.com/news/astrud-gilberto-brazilian-singer-girl-from-ipanema-society-hill-20230616.html

Board footera