The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2019 10:57 am  #1

Oldies Acts Still Performing

Happy New Year everyone.  In the positive spirit of a new year and a new Oldies Music Board, I ask the question, " Which oldies acts are still performing on a somewhat regular basis?"

I'll start the list:

Kathy Young
The Chantels
Lou Christie
The Buckinghams
Kenny Vance
Larry Chance and the Earls
The Happenings
Petula Clark
Peter Noone
Tommy James
Gary Lewis
Johnny Rivers
BJ Thomas
Ronnie Spector
Darlene Love
The Tokens (Jay Siegel)
Shirley Alston Reeves
Frankie Valli

January 1, 2019 12:45 pm  #2

Re: Oldies Acts Still Performing

Gordon Lightfoot is still touring in 2019
Maria Muldaur got her start in the 60's and has concert dates in 2019 plus a new album in 2018.

January 1, 2019 8:58 pm  #3

Jay & The Americans with Jay #3.  They sound great as ever (IMHO) and Sandy, Marty and Howie are super nice guys to talk to, as well.
Little Anthony & The Imperials
Gary Puckett
Chubby Checker
Brian Hyland
Johnny Tillotson
The Mystics

January 1, 2019 11:53 pm  #4

The Zombies!  See them if you can!

January 2, 2019 12:53 am  #5

Ronnie Dove is still performing, after several health setbacks and announced retirements in recent years.

Tom Diehl

January 2, 2019 7:01 pm  #6

I agree with JTHYME that Jay and the Americans sound as good as ever.  Also in that category of sounding amazing is the Cowsills.  See them if you get the chance.  Terrific harmonies.

Adding to the list of oldies acts still performing:

Chuck Negron
The Brooklyn Bridge
Frankie Avalon
Freddy Cannon
Jimmy Clanton
The Flamingos
The Turtles
The Association
Mark Lindsay

January 3, 2019 11:39 am  #7

We saw Jimmy Clanton perform in his alma mater, Baton Rouge High Auditorium, what he professed to be his final concert, on May 20, 2017.  He was the only performer however, and one could interpret that it was final performance as a solo concert.  At least that was what I thought at the time.  I'm glad to see he is still performing, I'm pretty sure he is still working in the studio. We enjoyed meeting and conversing with him five and a half years earlier at an oldies concert at LSU.  He actually remembered the occasion, as we watched the SEC Championship game in the Student Union Lobby.  Such a genuine person.

January 4, 2019 10:35 am  #8

So just who is this "Jay #3?"   The first Jay died, and Jay Black, a great singer, sang on almost all the hits.  Without him, you might have a group that sounds good, but  how could they really be Jay and the Americans??

January 4, 2019 10:37 am  #9

About Jimmy Clanton - yes, your interpretation is right.  That was his intention - his last solo concert.  He's still pretty active, but in a different context.

January 4, 2019 5:06 pm  #10

Flo, the original Jay and the Americans split up in 1973.  Jay Black performed as Jay and the Americans after the split, but lost the rights to the name after he declared bankruptcy in 2006.  The name was won at auction by original member Sandy Deane who, together with originals Howard Kane and Marty Sanders, have been touring as Jay and the Americans ever since.  Jay Reincke, Jay #3, does a great job as lead singer - he replicates Jay Black's voice extremely well on all their hits.

January 8, 2019 8:12 pm  #11

It is amazing how many 50's and 60's artists are still performing (see acts listed earlier in this thread), despite getting on in years.  You would think that performers from the seventies would be out there in large numbers now, "taking over" as older artists retire or pass away, but I see very few concerts featuring artists from the 1970's   Testament to the longevity of oldies music.  

Here are more acts still performing that have not yet been mentioned in this topic:

Charlie Thomas' Drifters
The Beach Boys
Terry Sylvester
Gary U.S. Bonds
The Crystals
Mickey Dolenz
Dennis Tufano
Bill Medley
The Reflections
Neil Sedaka
Mary Wilson
Dick Dale

January 18, 2019 7:59 am  #12

Saw this story and thought that Frankie Valli might be about to retire.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/music/2018/11/30/frankie-valli-talks-about-his-farewell-tour-which-comes-to-birmingham-tomorrow/

However, a visit to his web site shows performances scheduled through June.  Does this mean that the "farewell" only refers to concerts outside the USA? Or is he retiring later in 2019?

January 21, 2019 10:32 am  #13

Bruce NZ's mention of The Hollies tour got me thinking about the fact that when Allan Clarke retired in 2000, they chose to take on a new lead singer, rather than have an existing original member (Tony Hicks) assume the lead vocals.

Some groups have done the opposite; that is, when the group returned to touring after a breakup or departure of the lead singer, one of the original members now assumed that role. 

Here are two examples:

When the Buckinghams reformed in 1983, original member Carl Giammarese took over lead vocals (from original lead singer Dennis Tufano, who was doing other things), and continues to do so in 2019.

In the 70's, when a disbanded Crystals was re-formed, Dee Dee Kinniebrew (original back-up singer in the group) took over as lead singer and continues to do so in 2019.

Any other examples of groups from the recent past (or perhaps still performing today) who followed the same pattern of an original (non-lead singer) assuming the role of lead singer?

January 21, 2019 12:56 pm  #14

Joe Butler of The Lovin' Spoonful has been their lead vocalist for many years.  He was the original drummer of the group.

January 21, 2019 1:04 pm  #15

Great example, Mickusbell.

I also thought of Danny and the Juniors.  Joe Terry still performs (occasionally) as Danny and the Juniors along with original member Frank Maffei.

January 23, 2019 9:58 am  #16

Would Charlie Thomas fit into this discussion as well?  He was never the lead singer through those early various configurations of The Drifters, but he has fronted the Charlie Thomas' Drifters group for over 20 years, and continues to perform today.

January 23, 2019 10:57 pm  #17

Charlie Thomas was the lead on a few sides by the group, but he really didn't have the best voice to be out front. He does a fine job leading his group these days though.

Tom Diehl

January 26, 2019 7:49 am  #18

Lorne, what is your feeling about posting dares and locations of Oldies concerts to this board?  I know Ron did not want it on the previous board, but as someone who enjoys getting to see some of the groups/singers that are still performing,I would appreciate that information.

January 26, 2019 11:17 am  #19

Yes, I think the concern had been with people using it for free advertising for concerts, given what he was paying for the site and the fact that there was banner ad space available on the old board. But the situation is different now ... I'm just using what Boardhost offers for free. So I would be fine with you and others here posting info about dares and locations of concerts. I can watch out for anyone who just joins the board to promote certain concerts, but hopefully that won't happen. 

February 2, 2019 9:53 am  #20

Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs.

February 7, 2019 9:39 pm  #21

Willie Winfield, lead singer of The Harptones since 1951, and still performing occasionally in recent years, will be performing at a Doo Wop weekend in April in Dix Hills New York, where he will announce his retirement.  He is 89 years old.

February 12, 2019 8:03 pm  #22

I meant to mention a while back, but there is an oldies station in Cincinnati, WDJO, which offers pre-sale tickets to oldies concerts in the area.  Looks like The Righteous Brothers (at least one of them) and whoever is performing as the Temptations is appearing on July 26. 

February 13, 2019 7:43 am  #23

In 2016 Bill Medley decided to reform The Righteous Brothers, with Bucky Heard filling in for the late Bobby Hatfield. They mainly do dates at Harrah's in Las Vega (about 90 scheduled in 2019), but also do road shows (about 25 scheduled in 2019).  There are a number of videos on YouTube if you want to hear what they sound like.

March 3, 2019 4:58 pm  #24

At the risk of re-igniting the old argument about whether some current performing groups should actually be referred to as "tribute" groups, I notice that The Skyliners are back performing with two show appearances in March.  John Sarkis now sings the lead vocals that were Jimmy Beaumont's.  They sound really good.

https://www.facebook.com/roxanne.lampo/videos/10210559658426279/

March 12, 2019 2:58 pm  #25

Been checking out the lineups of some upcoming concerts scheduled over the next 6 months, and realize there are a lot of names that have not yet appeared in this topic.  Scheduled to perform over the next 6 months:

Norman Fox
Jimmy Charles
Jimmy Gallagher and the Passions
The Heartbeats
The Capris
Lenny Dell and the Demensions
LaLa Brooks
The Fireflies
Jimmy Stephens (of the Safaris)
The Quotations
Chris Montez
Joey Dee
The Marcels
The Classics (Emil Stucchio) 

March 13, 2019 3:30 pm  #26

Diana Ross still going strong.  Appearing in Vegas June 5 - 15.

March 15, 2019 12:11 pm  #27

The Irish Rovers are winding down their farewell tour. My wife and I saw them just over 5 years ago, just prior to our wedding (today is our 5th anniversary), when their farewell tour began, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

Tom Diehl

March 16, 2019 3:18 pm  #28

The Fireflies (You Were Mine)

March 17, 2019 3:45 am  #29

while he may not be an oldies act, per se, as i believe he strives to make each song and performance new and original to that night's show, phil lesh, formerly with the grateful dead, celebrated his 79th birthday onstage at the capitol theater in port chester, ny, day or so ago. he also plays regularly with various combos at his own terrapin crossroads venue in northern california. as well, lesh also maintains a fairly busy schedule of benefit and festival appearances.

in any case he's an oldie, and he's still out there doin' it.

March 21, 2019 6:59 am  #30

Noticed that Chip Taylor will be performing in Buffalo in April.  Best known as the writer of "Wild Thing" and "Angel of the Morning", he released a few songs in the 60's (none of which made the charts), and then turned to country rock in the 70's.  He has been back performing since the mid 90's, doing mainly folk/acoustic music.

Board footera