The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2023 9:17 pm  #1

CCR's John Fogerty Opens Up About "Bathrooms, Woodstock & More

It's taken a long time, including a bitter battle with his old record company, an addiction to alcohol and a reputation of being difficult, but J.C. Fogerty of CCR fame is finally at a stage in his life where he can look back without anger. 

He granted a rare interview to Forbes Magazine, and talks about everything from who really wrote "Proud Mary," the famous mondegreen about "There's A Bathroom On The Right," his appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, to why he refused to allow the band's performance at Woodstock to be included in the film. 

"By the time Creedence got on stage, it was like 2:30 a.m. Everyone was asleep. Here, I thought this was going to be our crowning achievement. The band played great, but there was no reaction until about the last 10 minutes of our set. Basically, we woke them, then warmed them up for Janis Joplin.

"I didn't feel I wanted that particular conundrum in the movie. Here we were, on our way to becoming the No. 1 band in the world. What do I care about this movie? It didn't show us in the best light, so I said no."

CCR’s John Fogerty: ‘There’s The Bathroom On The Right’ (Not Really)

August 28, 2023 8:05 am  #2

Re: CCR's John Fogerty Opens Up About "Bathrooms, Woodstock & More

Just a couple of points of clarification, the writer says "After CCR's contentious breakup in the early 1970s for financial reasons, Fogerty left behind bandmates Doug Clifford (drums), Stu Cook (bass guitar) and his own late brother, Tom (rhythm guitar),".
John didn't leave brother Tom behind, as he had already left the band before their final album "Mardi Gras". A little nit-picky maybe, but it could have been made clearer. Also, I hardly think the band broke up for financial reasons as they were doing quite well at the time. What really broke them up was the fact the bass player and drummer, who were mediocre songwriters and singers at best, fought Fogerty for equal time on "Mardi Gras". That's why that record was such a stinker and Fogerty decided to pack the band in. 
Finally, I'm not sure why Forbes is bragging about landing an interview with a performer who rarely grants same. I've talked to him a couple of times over the years so  he's not that inaccessible.

August 28, 2023 8:59 am  #3

Re: CCR's John Fogerty Opens Up About "Bathrooms, Woodstock & More

I'm sorry they didn't get into the brief Blue Ridge Rangers years. Jambalaya wasn't the biggest hit, but it was pure Fogerty in its style. 

Board footera