The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 29, 2023 10:29 am  #1

Why Steppenwolf Never Got Paid For "Born To Be Wild" In "Easy Rider"

"Born To Be Wild" is one of the great classic rock songs of the late 60s-early 70s. It's the seminal theme song, if you will, of the legendary flick "Easy Rider." But in an interview in Forbes Magazine, leader John Kay reveals the group never got paid a dime for the use of the tune that practically defines the film. 

It's all because the producers, including Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda, didn't have any money left for a music budget. So they just asked the musicians who wound up on the soundtrack if they'd mind donating their songs to the cause. 

Kay says he watched the movie before its release and instantly gave his permission. As Hopper later told Kay:

"We were making the film and had about spent all of the money we had, and still needed a soundtrack. We didn't really care for the idea of hiring a Hollywood writer to compose a track with an orchestra, anyway.

I just went through my record collection, sitting on the floor pulling out this and that album, including Steppenwolf, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, The Byrds and whatever else I could find. Then I plopped the songs into the movie, and called up everybody involved, including you guys."

Also worth noting: Steppenwolf member Mars Bonfire, who wrote the classic song, has essentially made a living off of it ever since. Kay estimates his former bandmate has earned at least $150,000-200,000 a year off it every year since it was written in 1968. Talk about the gift that keeps on giving.

Steppenwolf’s John Kay On His Magic Carpet Ride, And More

Last edited by aflem (August 29, 2023 7:03 pm)

August 29, 2023 11:42 am  #2

Re: Why Steppenwolf Never Got Paid For "Born To Be Wild" In "Easy Rider"

At one time, I had thought that Mars Bonfire had been a member of Steppenwolf as well. I think I'd either heard an announcer say that, or else misunderstood what I'd heard about him. He'd been a member of the Sparrows/Sparrow with his brother Jerry Edmonton and Jerry was part of Steppenwolf, so along with Mars having written Steppenwolf's breakout hit, the connections were very strong. But according to Wikipedia and other sources, he left Sparrow for a solo career before the group evolved into Steppenwolf.

Board footera