The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 9, 2023 11:12 pm  #1

Why Don't You Take Me......

The other night, I was camped here on my computer, playing games and listening to music.  Suddenly, the title of a song that I hadn't thought about in at least 30 years popped into my head.  I looked it up in one of my numerous "Whitburn Books", got the artists who had done it and plugged into 'you tube' and had the fun of listening to the Hudson Brothers sing "Rendezvous" again.  I don't think we've ever mentioned them here on the board but for about 1 bright shining year they had a network TV show, a couple of hit records and toured with all kinds of hit artists of the mid 1970's.  I was even more impressed to find out they were from my neighborhood, Portland, OR.  Give it a listen and drift on back about 50 years ago when this was the hit music on the radio!  "All The Hits, All The Time!!!":

September 10, 2023 6:33 am  #2

Re: Why Don't You Take Me......

The only song I recall hearing on the radio around these parts was "So You Are A Star", which owed more than a little to The Beatles. It seems fitting that Mark Hudson became a co-writer, producer and musical road director for Ringo Starr for about 10 years, into the mid-2000's.

September 10, 2023 10:31 pm  #3

Re: Why Don't You Take Me......

Roman wrote:

The only song I recall hearing on the radio around these parts was "So You Are A Star", which owed more than a little to The Beatles. It seems fitting that Mark Hudson became a co-writer, producer and musical road director for Ringo Starr for about 10 years, into the mid-2000's.

I found your comment interesting given that we're both lifelong Toronto residents, but I remember "Rendezvous" while I couldn't recall "So You Are A Star". I do think that there were two songs I heard on the radio by them, but when I looked up "So You Are A Star" on YouTube, it only sounded vaguely familiar at best. Neither song charted on CHUM, but my recollection was that I probably heard "Rendezvous" on CKOC Hamilton. So I did a search to see what I could find for The Hudson Brothers and CKOC, and to my surprise I found on the ARSA site that "So You Are A Star" was a #1 hit there. That means I definitely would have heard it, and all I can say is that I found "Rendezvous" to be much catchier.
I'll add that I did also watch their tv show, but I didn't have any idea of what had happened to them after their brief period of fame. So it was interesting to find out about Mark working for Ringo in particular.

Board footera