The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2023 7:25 am  #1

Larry Chance, doo-wop band leader of the Earls, dies at age 82

His biggest hit with the Earls was "Remember When", which went to #24 in 1963. 
https://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-deaths/larry-chance-1940-2023-doo-wop-band-leader-of-the-earls

September 10, 2023 2:48 pm  #2

Re: Larry Chance, doo-wop band leader of the Earls, dies at age 82

I took a double take on your message Lorne.  I thought the name of the song is "Remember THEN", not "Remember WHEN."  I have this on a CD and, sometimes, the CDs can have incorrect data, but I went further and checked several other references including AllMusic.com, Wikipedia and "The Bible": Joel Whitburn's 14h Edition "Top Pop Singles."  All are consistent: "Remember Then."  The article misspells the title ("Remember When")  while the YouTube caption accompanying the article, correctly, references "Remember Then."   Super song, great group with only one Hot 100 -  "Remember Then."

Last edited by Little Rich (September 10, 2023 2:50 pm)

September 10, 2023 5:19 pm  #3

Thanks, Little Rich. I should have realized that myself as I do know the song, although I haven't heard it that much over the years and so "Remember When" sounded ok to me -- and ironically, I also don't remember when "Remember Then" was a hit, as I was only two at the time. But in addition, my main focus had been on finding an obit confirming his passing ... I had been seeing people on Facebook say that it had been reported there by the head of the group's fan club on Sept. 5, but my general preference is to have something more than a social media post before reporting a passing unless it's from the artist's official account. But I also try to avoid posting obits with obvious mistakes, which can particularly be a problem with lesser-known artists as there may not be that many obits to choose from. Anyway, I appreciate you catching this, and I'll try to be even more careful regarding obits in the future.

September 11, 2023 2:59 am  #4

I should be the last to criticize anyone since I'm still a "novice" at researching and am always grateful to you and others when you do post great information like this.  When I first read the obit, I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I knew something didn't look right.  Then I noted the contradictory spelling in the article and the overlay on the YouTube insert.  "Then" and "When" can easily be interchangeable and could have been either.  Speaking of which - a related song title with vaguely similar words, that could maybe be confusing:  Billy Joe Royal's "I Knew You When" which came to mind when I was researching.  Anyway, "thanks" Lorne.

September 11, 2023 9:12 am  #5

A related aspect about obits is that I prefer to find ones that give a good amount of detail about people. I'm less interested in any videos that are part of them, and so I scrolled right by the one at the top of this obit so quickly that I didn't even notice the title. And the obit actually wasn't as detailed as I would have liked, but then when I saw all the tributes below it I decided that it was sufficient. But this shows why I like to try to find ones that are more detailed, as opposed to ones that look like the author didn't spend much time on them. My efforts here will never be at the level of what Ron Smith did on the previous board, but I try to do what I can to make this board a good source of information about the artists who created the music we love.

September 11, 2023 3:11 pm  #6

You're a good man for taking the helm of Ron Smith's ship, so to speak.  And again, I can't be critical - I just enjoy the great info that is shared then I can, in turn, relate some of that during my weekly radio show.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how and why you do what you do.

Board footera