The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2023 2:55 pm  #1

Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" short version

Is it possible to hear a short version of that song (3:12) somewhere on the internet? I didn't find it.

September 25, 2023 3:40 pm  #2

Re: Led Zeppelin - "Whole Lotta Love" short version

Here you go.

September 26, 2023 5:52 am  #3

Lorne,
thank you for answer. I also found this recording with a length of 3:37.
But I'd like to hear the version that's on Discogs. It says on the single "short version, 3:12".
https://www.discogs.com/release/5600471-Led-Zeppelin-Whole-Lotta-Love/image/SW1hZ2U6MTE5NDMxMTE=
Or is the time 3:12 just a "commercial deception"?

September 26, 2023 6:27 am  #4

Speaking of Whole Lotta Love, this extraordinary video features Michael Winslow appearing on a Norwegian TV show. (Winslow is known as the human sound effects machine and became famous for his role in the Police Academy movies.) 

In this piece, he performs the guitar section of the Led Zeppelin hit, without playing an instrument. And it's a remarkable performance you have to see - and hear - to believe. This isn't new, but it is amazing. 

September 26, 2023 8:52 am  #5

mroldies wrote:

Lorne,
But I'd like to hear the version that's on Discogs. It says on the single "short version, 3:12".
https://www.discogs.com/release/5600471-Led-Zeppelin-Whole-Lotta-Love/image/SW1hZ2U6MTE5NDMxMTE=

The first 22 seconds of the video are taken up by the person showing that they are playing the same 45 that is shown on Discogs ... they show that the long version is on one side, then they flip it over to show that the short version is on the other (with a length of 3:12) before cueing it up. The sound seems to fade out around 3:32, which subtracting the original :22 would give a length of 3:10, but the playing time of the 45 is probably 3:12 and then the last few seconds of the video are when the stylus reaches the deadwax. Hope that helps.

September 26, 2023 2:09 pm  #6

Lorne wrote:

mroldies wrote:

Lorne,

The first 22 seconds of the video are taken up by the person showing that they are playing the same 45 that is shown on Discogs ... they show that the long version is on one side, then they flip it over to show that the short version is on the other (with a length of 3:12) before cueing it up. The sound seems to fade out around 3:32, which subtracting the original :22 would give a length of 3:10, but the playing time of the 45 is probably 3:12 and then the last few seconds of the video are when the stylus reaches the deadwax. Hope that helps.

Lorne,
please accept my apology, sorry for the unnecessary question. I just didn't get it.
I need to use my brain more next time...
So, this short version was created by cutting out the middle section and an earlier fade-out.

Board footera