The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 13, 2023 4:51 pm  #1

Sly Stone

This past Sunday I saw a feature on CBS Mornings about Sly Stone's new memoir, and while he didn't take part in the interview, his three kids talked about their dad and how the book came about. I was always a huge fan of Sly & The Family Stone, but after hearing about Sly's drug use and erratic behaviour over the years, including living in a camper van in L.A., I didn't think we'd hear from him again. I'm really glad to learn about his memoir, and Sly even agreed to an interview with Time magazine to promote it. https://time.com/6322069/sly-stone-memoir-interview/

October 19, 2023 10:58 am  #2

Re: Sly Stone

Learning about Sly's new memoir inspired me to give his greatest hits with the Family Stone another spin. It seems that he was a pretty influential figure based on a couple of thefts, at least to my ears. First, there's the Sly song "Somebody's Watching You", the chorus of which sounds very much like Rockwell's 1984 hit "Somebody's Watching Me", credited to the singer. And for the Canucks out there, it sounds like Kelly Jay lifted the refrain from Sly's "Sing a Simple Song", and used it to form the chorus of the Crowbar hit "Oh What A Feeling". You can hear it hear at about the 40 second mark.

Last edited by Roman (October 19, 2023 2:53 pm)

Board footera