The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 2, 2023 9:13 am  #1

The Last Beatles Song

November 2, 2023 3:35 pm  #2

Re: The Last Beatles Song

I'm a big Beatles fan but this song didn't do it for me. I would rather have heard Lennon's original demo. It just goes to show you that Artificial Intelligence has nothing on George Martin.

November 2, 2023 4:37 pm  #3

I can appreciate the "original", "real" recordings by any artist.  These days, AI scare people.  I, personally, understand the pernicious tenacity of people in general because of the "lies" or apparent artificiality of any sounds, in particular because of totally artificial creations of recordings of statements by the "highest of high" authorities, i.e. The Pope stating the world is coming to The End next year.   Here's where understanding the source of the recording is very important.  There is an explanation as to exactly how the "artificial recordings" were made.  There's not really anything artificial about the recordings.  They simply used some high-end electronic filters to take Lennon's voice and George Harrison's guitar accompaniment, plucking them out of the original demos, deleting the "noise" and making the sounds more pure - that is precisely what they do with most any recordings and have been doing for decades.  People that may not like the AI recordings likely much prefer to listen to vinyl albums than electronic recordings.  And that's ok - otherwise the recording industry wouldn't be selling the millions of vinyls in the past several years and that revival of vinyls just wouldn't be.
There is an extremely well-documented, factual explanation I found on YouTube by a gentleman who is stating fact, not conjecture about how the AI managed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE33NPyzGY4

When I watched this YouTube explanation, I was somewhat surprised at the disclosure about "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love."
There was never, ever, some artificial recreation of John Lennon's voice.  It's simply filtering the original demo, as if it were a "pure recording" of John's voice, filtering out noise.  Way back, in a "different life" that I had (about 50 years ago), these same filters I'm discussing here, were being sold at a premium for those of us that wanted to delete the noise, humming created by the electronics recording systems and the playback devices.  One of the best playback devices was, at the time, the reel-to-reel and I had one.  But these filter systems were not at the top of the consumer chart in part because of the production cost and in part because of the associated demand; at the time no one was hyped about the pure sound of the playback.  I can assure you the recording is genuine with no artificiality to it - simply pure voice from Lennon.  The producer, I suppose, could go a step further to make it more "real" by selling-mass producing this song in vinyl.

My Nickel's Worth...

Last edited by Little Rich (November 2, 2023 4:47 pm)

November 3, 2023 11:43 am  #4

The official video has been released. I thought it was pretty good.

November 3, 2023 6:26 pm  #5

I just heard it. I have mixed emotions. It was done well. The AI is a little scary. Too be honest all this remastering is weird too. I also just heard the new remastered version of Love Me Do and prefer the original. 
open form comments, Robert

Board footera