The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 27, 2023 5:38 pm  #1

Les Maguire has died

Les Maguire, the keyboardist of Gerry & The Pacemakers died on November 25 at the age of 81.
He was the last surviving member of the group’s classic lineup.

December 1, 2023 11:01 pm  #2

Re: Les Maguire has died

Sorry to read this.

I saw Gerry Marsden in person several times in the early 2000's in Orillia and Niagara Falls & was a great fan of the original band.

In fact about 20 years ago I was in email contact with Les Chadwick the Pacemakers bass player who was a residnet of Sydney Australia. Mr. Chadwick passed a few years back of brain cancer.

Les Maguire was a child prodigy when it came to music and was proficient to the extreme on piano and saxaphone. In fact in his very early days in the group he played sax and not the piano. But that soon changed.

May he rest in peace.

Last edited by unclefester (December 1, 2023 11:40 pm)

December 2, 2023 2:53 pm  #3

Re: Les Maguire has died

unclefester wrote:

Sorry to read this.

I saw Gerry Marsden in person several times in the early 2000's in Orillia and Niagara Falls & was a great fan of the original band.

In fact about 20 years ago I was in email contact with Les Chadwick the Pacemakers bass player who was a residnet of Sydney Australia. Mr. Chadwick passed a few years back of brain cancer.

Les Maguire was a child prodigy when it came to music and was proficient to the extreme on piano and saxaphone. In fact in his very early days in the group he played sax and not the piano. But that soon changed.

May he rest in peace.

Hi, unclefester,
Thanks for a nice summary of the facts.

Last edited by mroldies (December 2, 2023 2:54 pm)

Board footera