The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 1, 2023 10:52 pm  #1

Chad Allan Dead at 80

It took more than a week to become public knowledge but 1960's entertainer and founding member of the Guess Who Chad Allan has passed away. Mr. Alllan was 80 years of age.
His obiturary says he died November 21st.

Mr. Allan, whose birth name was Allan Kowbel left the group in 1966 to attend college.
The ins and outs of the formation of the Guess Who is a story unto itself but safe to say Mr.
Allan was there at the very beginning.

May he rest in prace

December 4, 2023 12:20 pm  #2

Re: Chad Allan Dead at 80

Chad went on to form Brave Belt with Randy Bachman, and that band evolved into BTO after Chad left. Brave Belt had a terrific single in 1972 called "Dunrobin's Gone" (written and sang by Chad) which charted on CHUM in Toronto. I also remember hearing a previous single called "Rock And Roll Band", but I can't find it on any chart.

December 4, 2023 12:38 pm  #3

I really liked both songs, and my sister bought the "Rock and Roll Band" single. It reached #64 on the national RPM chart of Sept. 4, 1971.

December 4, 2023 2:57 pm  #4

It occurred to me that I might have heard "Rock And Roll Band" on CKFH as they played Top 40 stuff in the early 70's. I still have a few CKFH charts and I found one from June 28, 1971 that had Brave Belt on the cover. I assume the station was playing the song although I couldn't find it on this chart or the ones after. What's interesting and kind of morbid is that in addition to Chad Allen on the cover, this chart has April Wine's first single "Fast Train", as well as "Mr. Big Stuff" by Jean Knight. The passing of Allen, Knight and April Wine lead singer Myles Goodwyn were all reported in the last week.

Now for some fun and games...Here's a link to the chart's front cover. Can you spot the error? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/334094061138

December 4, 2023 3:21 pm  #5

The caption should read "REPRISE RECORDS' NEW GROUP", not "REPRISE RECORD'S NEW GROUP". 

December 4, 2023 5:03 pm  #6

Lorne wrote:

The caption should read "REPRISE RECORDS' NEW GROUP", not "REPRISE RECORD'S NEW GROUP". 

I missed that one, and the error I saw wasn't an error...it was another case of me reading the thing too quickly. I thought it said the DJ was second from right, rather than the second beard from the right.

Last edited by Roman (December 4, 2023 5:23 pm)

December 4, 2023 6:05 pm  #7

I had actually wondered if what you were asking about related to Tom Fulton and the unusual caption, but when I saw that it was ok I could only figure that it was the spelling mistake. But on the subject of Tom, I'll mention that I had the pleasure of meeting him at the Canadian National Exhibition after he had taken over as the morning announcer at AM740 ... he was very generous with his time, and came across just as well in person as he did on-air. Sadly, we lost him far too soon, but there's a very nice tribute to him at http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/kahuna.html

Board footera