The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2023 7:03 am  #1

Original Lightfoot Band Continues Legacy

I think that this is good to see, and that they're going about this in the right way.
https://themusicexpress.ca/original-lightfoot-band-continues-legacy/

December 20, 2023 5:39 pm  #2

Re: Original Lightfoot Band Continues Legacy

Thanks Lorne.  Gordon was one of my favorite singer/songwriters of all time.  Hope things work out for the band. He lost his classic tenor about 15-20 years ago.  I wish Red Shea, Lightfoot's key lead guitarist from 1965-75, was able to join the band but that would be hard to do since he preceded Lightoot's demise by about 15 years.

Last edited by Little Rich (December 21, 2023 11:37 pm)

December 22, 2023 7:06 am  #3

Rich, maybe you'll know this song by Red Shea, his brother Les, and Bill Gibbs as Red, Les and Bill, but I became familiar with it because of hearing it on The Roger Ashby Oldies Show ... it's a pretty good record, but very obscure.

December 23, 2023 7:49 pm  #4

Lorne - thanks for sharing that with me.  Great song by Red, Les & Bill.  I've never heard it before now.  Speaking of obscure:  I read something several ago (1972) about Lightfoot touring England and being interviewed and performing on BBC.  One song REALLY caught my attention, "Farewell To Nova Scotia."  From everything I researched, he has NEVER played it again and certainly hasn't recorded it.  Come to find out it was written and recorded by Canadian folksingers Ian & Sylvia under the title, "Nova Scotia Farewell."  He was once asked why he never recorded it and he said something about the original by Ian & Sylvia was wonderful and he didn't think he could give it justice to record it.  Humility by a great singer/songwriter!  I've researched it and the only recording I have of Lightfoot's cover is the YouTube of him live on BBC.  I simply digitized the BBC recording.  Super song!  I'd put it up there with his Canadian Railroad Trilogy.  Personally, I think Lightfoot's performance, even on live English TV, is the BEST by far!! of any cover of that song.

January 23, 2024 7:49 am  #5

This is another good article on The Lightfoot Band and their new singer.
https://archive.ph/NVeA8

January 25, 2024 9:47 pm  #6

I'd be interested to hear Mauck.  I would love to Lightfoot's original tenor, or at least close to his original tenor which he lost at least 20 years ago.  That's when Lightfoot was at his peak.

Board footera