The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 27, 2024 7:39 pm  #1

This Classic 50s Rock Song Was On The "B" Side

Record companies wanted to sell a softer side of Eddie Cochran in 1958, and put "Summertime Blues" on the B-side of the 45 it sent to radio stations. It didn't work. DJs quickly discovered the superior song on the flip and started playing it. And the rest, as they say is history. 

The article below examines how many different versions there have been of the song over the years - from the original to the psychedelic to country and to Canadian and French versions. Proving, I suppose, that some themes are universal in the lives of young people. And this song seems to touch a deep nerve in them. Not bad for a tune that was composed in about 30 minutes. 

The Many Lives Of "Summertime Blues"

Last edited by aflem (January 27, 2024 7:40 pm)

January 27, 2024 8:12 pm  #2

Re: This Classic 50s Rock Song Was On The "B" Side

I've never heard of the artists Hot Rod Lincoln, Darrel Higham or Guitar Wolf, but T. Rex cut a memorable version of Summertime Blues for their debut recording.

January 27, 2024 10:55 pm  #3

Re: This Classic 50s Rock Song Was On The "B" Side

That's the very first I'm ever hearing of Summertime Blues being a B side. It seems that in all trade magazines, from the very beginning, the label was promoting Summertime Blues. The other side also completely failed to chart at all on any regional radio surveys, meaning from day one it was not the side getting airplay.

Tom Diehl

Board footera