The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2024 2:03 am  #1

2024 Grammys

I know, I know many of you/us probably have as low an affinity or appreciation for the Grammys as the RRHOF, maybe in part because of the "politics" in the awards - BUT, IMHO, there were three distinct events during the Grammy awards that got my attention:
  - Joni Mitchell  performance of "Both Sides Now"
  - Billy Joel's performance of his newest of the new after 17 years of dry well, "Turn The Lights Back On" (he may  have re-located his musical talent to release another album)
  - Tracy Chapman duet with Luke Combs performing "Fast Car"
All three breathtaking - great voices, mutual respect by every one.

If someone put my "audio feet" to the fire, of the three, I would pick Chapman and Combs as the most inspiring.  Great voices and apparent admiration manifested by Luke Combs who got everyone's attention 2023 with his release of a Country chart-topping cover of Chapman's 1988 first-charter "Fast Car," which is what they performed.  That woman was well ahead of her time - two outstanding performers who manifest humility but power in their voices and their acoustic guitars.  It was truly an evocative moment or two!!

February 13, 2024 6:55 am  #2

Re: 2024 Grammys

I've always liked "Fast Car", and since I like comebacks as well I'm glad to see that Combs' remake of the song has helped bring Chapman back into the limelight -- and now back onto the Hot 100.
https://archive.ph/W6lxD

February 13, 2024 5:07 pm  #3

Here's how it happened.  I read that she is VERY private/shy.  Read this because it relates an elaborate scheme to make this happen and the relationship, albeit loose, Tracy and Luke groomed to make this happen.  Both reciprocated respect for one another.  Great, great performance!  I noticed, on YouTube comments, that several other commenters arrived at the same conclusion as I did - I would be willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a studio recording of "Fast Car" by those two.  But that probably still couldn't begin to approach the mutual respect and outstanding performance of that live moment on-stage by those two at the Grammys.  I have seen many Grammys but I would say that performance is one of the best of the best I've ever witnessed except for one - Barbra Streisand's performance of "You've Never Walk Alone" at the 2001 Grammys with the streaming of the names of the +2,700 souls lost at the 911 Tragedy.  Now THAT performance, too, was phenomenal!!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/tracy-chapman-fast-car-grammys-how-it-happened-secret-1234962581/

Last edited by Little Rich (February 13, 2024 5:08 pm)

February 13, 2024 5:26 pm  #4

Thanks, Rich. I hit the Rolling Stone paywall again, so here's an alternate link for anyone else who's read their quota of articles this month. 
https://archive.ph/Ypj9F

Board footera