The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 18, 2024 2:42 pm  #1

New Radio Format Explores Stories Behind The Greatest Hits It Plays

My local radio board is highlighting a new format I've never heard of before. The station plays the usual "Greatest Hits," but ICON Radio (aka CKAY-FM) in the Vancouver area does something before those hits get played. 

Announcers and often the artists themselves come on to tell the stories behind most of the songs that are about to be played, offering insights about how or why they were written, what happened when they were recorded or performed in concert, how the groups formed or other tales behind the tunes. 

It's not for everyone, but I have to admit to some curiosity about it - I love learning "behind the scene" details I never knew about some of my favorite songs and this is what the station is all about for almost every record they play. 

If you're curious what this sounds like, you can check it out online here

March 18, 2024 3:36 pm  #2

Re: New Radio Format Explores Stories Behind The Greatest Hits It Plays

I play sets of three songs and will spend no more thirty seconds of air-time briefly describing "insight" on behind-the-scenes trivia about the song, artist, and/or songwriter.  You're right, it's not for everyone but I have a steadily growing cadre of listeners who appear to appreciate the format, calling in and expressing their thanks for the info.  It takes a lot of time (20 to 30 hours of preparation for each two-hour show) researching those pieces of trivia but, like you, I find it utterly fascinating and I know it endears lots of listeners to my weekly show.  To get on the air and simply play the songs - it seems like it is almost like "elevator music," nearly as bad as an automated  "standard playlist" played with Top 20s multiple times, day in and day out. 

Board footera