The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2024 3:50 pm  #1

Aliases

What artists released songs under a different name

Three to start off
Jo Stafford as Cinderella G. Stump released Tim-tayshun
Cher as Bonnie Jo Mason released Ringo, I Love You
Sheb Wooley as Ben Colder released a number of songs

Life is not a float trip

September 5, 2024 6:50 am  #2

Re: Aliases

First one that immediately comes to mind is The Wonder Who, actually the Four Seasons (Don't Think Twice).

September 5, 2024 7:13 am  #3

My favourite has to be eivets rednow, who put out the album pictured below:

So who was eivets rednow? It's Stevie Wonder spelled backwards. Why he did this, I've never been able to figure out, but I don't think it sold very well. 

September 5, 2024 10:20 am  #4

Not sure if this exactly fits your topic.

Ron Dante (along with studio musicians) recorded Sugar Sugar, but they released it as by The Archies.

Ron Dante (along with studio musicians) recorded Tracy, but they released it as by The Cuff Links

September 5, 2024 3:32 pm  #5

What about aliases for songwriting:
Elton John's "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", composers: "Ann Orson/Carte Blanche" aliases Elton John and Bernie Taupin

September 5, 2024 3:40 pm  #6

Bernard Webb wrote the Peter & Gordon hit "Woman."

He was better known by his other name: Paul McCartney.

September 6, 2024 6:24 am  #7

Although Gene Pitney co-wrote Rubber Ball, he put his mother's name on the record instead of his.

"In December 1960 he had his first big songwriting success with "Rubber Ball", a novelty hit for Bobby Vee, but, because Schroeder wanted to break the regulations and place his songs with the rival organisations of Ascap and BMI, he told Pitney to pick a pseudonym. He chose his mother's maiden name, Ann Orlowski: "She got a big kick from having her name on that record," 

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 6, 2024 6:27 am)

September 6, 2024 8:03 am  #8

Bobby Darin's song "Early In The Morning" was released as being by The Ding Dongs on Brunswick because Darin was already under contract to Atco. When Atco found out about this, they threatened legal action which resulted in the Brunswick record being pulled -- and it was then released by Atco as being by The Rinky Dinks. With "Splish Splash" having been released shortly before all of this by Atco, I wonder if they used The Rinky Dinks name to avoid having two different Darin records being out at the same time. 

And something similar might have been going on with the Eivets Rednow record. It was released by Motown's subsidiary Gordy, and so there were no legal issues involved with it. However, Wonder's instrumental cover of "Alfie" as Eivets Rednow was released not long before "For Once In My Life", and so using that name avoided having two Stevie Wonder records being out at the same time. In addition, "Alfie" was an easy-listening instrumental, and so it was quite different from a typical Wonder record. It only got to #66 on the Hot 100, but it did reach #11 on Billboard's adult contemporary chart and so there did end up being some overlap with when "For Once In My Life" started making the charts.

September 7, 2024 10:30 pm  #9

A few more:
John Fogerty recording a post-CCR album as The Blue Ridge Rangers; according to Wikipedia, this was done to distance Fogerty from CCR.
The Vibrations releasing "Peanut Butter" for the Arvee label as being by The Marathons, because they were under contract at the time to Chess.
Wings releasing "Seaside Woman" as being by Suzy and The Red Stripes, because it was written by Linda McCartney and featured her on lead vocals.

September 8, 2024 9:34 am  #10

Re: The Rinky Dinks, I take it these aren't the same Rinky Dinks that backed Johnny Bower on "Honky The Christmas Goose". I thought that was a pretty clever name for his back-up group.

September 8, 2024 10:38 am  #11

Roman wrote:

Re: The Rinky Dinks, I take it these aren't the same Rinky Dinks that backed Johnny Bower on "Honky The Christmas Goose". I thought that was a pretty clever name for his back-up group.

Here's the story behind that famous Canadian Christmas song. 

Bower's 'Honky the Christmas Goose' gift that keeps giving  

September 8, 2024 11:17 am  #12

None of the Canadians (including myself) on this board has mentioned Andy Kim, who, in the late 70's, released a couple of singles and two albums as Baron Longfellow.

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 8, 2024 11:23 am)

September 8, 2024 6:35 pm  #13

Is Nanker Phlege considered...Jagger, Richards

September 9, 2024 8:16 am  #14

Roman wrote:

It was, and it's entirely possible that those involved with the record didn't know of the use of this name for the Darin record as it never made the CHUM chart (CHUM played Buddy Holly's cover of "Early In The Morning" instead). Interestingly, in 1959 a different Rinky Dinks group did make the CHUM chart with "Catch A Little Moonbeam", but that record only got to #43 in a two-week run and so I doubt they would have known of that one either. And so what this also means is that of the three Rinky Dinks records, Bower's was actually the most successful in Toronto.

September 9, 2024 10:44 am  #15

aflem wrote:

Roman wrote:

Here's the story behind that famous Canadian Christmas song. 

Bower's 'Honky the Christmas Goose' gift that keeps giving  

Thanks for the background. Many years ago Johnny was at my gym doing promo for a vitamin supply company. I asked him about the 45 and he said he doesn't even own a copy, so I guess it is a bit rare now.

September 9, 2024 10:58 am  #16

Lorne wrote:

Roman wrote:

It was, and it's entirely possible that those involved with the record didn't know of the use of this name for the Darin record as it never made the CHUM chart (CHUM played Buddy Holly's cover of "Early In The Morning" instead). Interestingly, in 1959 a different Rinky Dinks group did make the CHUM chart with "Catch A Little Moonbeam", but that record only got to #43 in a two-week run and so I doubt they would have known of that one either. And so what this also means is that of the three Rinky Dinks records, Bower's was actually the most successful in Toronto.

But Johnny still hasn't cracked Spotify, although some guy named Edward Tobin is there with a cover of Honky.

September 9, 2024 11:24 pm  #17

In the Spring of 1960 the Olympics had a huge #1 in the Los Angeles market with "(Baby) Hully Gully".  In Cashbox it only made it to #57 on their Top 100.  One year later, a group called the Vibrations who had reached #29 with "The Watusi" took the same melody and backing as the "Hully Gully", changed their name to the Marathons, changed the lyrics to "Peanut Butter' and reached #21 in Cashbox.

Board footera