The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2019 5:36 am  #1

Golden Earring

After reading goph's post about the Woodstock debacle, I was scrolling around for some more info and I came across another fest, Pinkpop, which has been an annual show in Holland since 1970. What blew me away is the fact that Golden Earring played this year's fest with the same line-up they had when they played there in 1970. That has to be some kind of record for group stability. I remember back in the day there were a few bands from Holland, mostly one-hit wonders, that I quite liked such as The Tee Set, George Baker Selection and especially Shocking Blue. Seems, however, that the Dutch pop imports stopped after the Earring. 
https://www.pinkpop.nl/2019/en/programme/golden-earring/

July 13, 2019 11:58 am  #2

Re: Golden Earring

Golden Earring also still has two of its founding members from 1961. From what I've read, the band may hold longevity records in terms of rock groups that still have original members, and rock groups that still have the same lineup. As for Dutch pop imports, two other groups that had hits here in the early 1970s were Mouth & MacNeal and Focus. But after the George Baker Selection's 1975 hit Paloma Blanca, the hits really did seem to dry up other than Golden Earring's Twilight Zone in 1982. I've never understood why this initial run of success didn't lead to more in the way of Dutch hits here, given that their records fit well into our pop mainstream -- combined with the fact that Dutch people generally have good English skills.

Board footera