The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2019 9:56 pm  #1

Old Board Memories #2

As I slide down the slippery slope of old age, one of my favorite pastimes is to grab some oldies cd's, load them in the car and go out cruising, driving through the trees of Oregon.  Driving around this afternoon, I came across a tune that was brought up regularly back in the day but I hadn't seen mentioned lately.  I speak, of course, of "Laurie (Strange Things Happen)" by Dickey Lee, from the summer of '65.  Watching TV these days, with ancient aliens, haunted houses and all of the rest of the unexplained mysteries that they delve into, it just seemed to me that it could happen.  I do really like the song and glad that it showed up. 

Last edited by Jim Southern (July 14, 2019 9:57 pm)

July 16, 2019 7:10 am  #2

Re: Old Board Memories #2

I was surprised to see that "Laurie" charted in 1965, reaching #14 in July of that year.  I associate the "teenage tragedy" songs with the late 50's and early 60's, but I guess they continued somewhat into 1965.  

Lorne, did "Laurie" make the CHUM charts?  I don't remember it making the top 40 in Montreal.

July 16, 2019 8:31 am  #3

Laurie never charted on CHUM, and neither did Patches. My guess is that the lyrics of both songs were too problematic for CHUM, because his more upbeat song I Saw Linda Yesterday did make the CHUM Chart (it reached #22 and was on the chart for 10 weeks). I didn't even know about Laurie until people started asking about it on the old board.

July 18, 2019 8:28 pm  #4

Another one that would come up fairly often at times , was people asking about the " organ grinder song " 
That was Love Me Love Me Love by Canadian artist Frank Mills, the Music Box Dancer pianist . 

July 19, 2019 7:20 am  #5

Scotty wrote:

Another one that would come up fairly often at times , was people asking about the " organ grinder song " 
That was Love Me Love Me Love by Canadian artist Frank Mills, the Music Box Dancer pianist . 

Well, I just learned something new today.  Thanks!

Board footera