The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2019 4:51 pm  #1

Do you know this instrumental ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEw5SgN9mxc 
This is the Czech band Mefisto and its instrumental "Lazy Guitar".
But the name of the instrumental is wrong.
Do you know who played it before Mefisto and what is its correct name ?
Thank you.

August 3, 2019 1:34 pm  #2

Re: Do you know this instrumental ?

It sounds an awful lot like Duane Eddy's Rebel Rouser, but with a few sight changes.

August 3, 2019 2:03 pm  #3

That's a really good suggestion. I had thought of Duane Eddy and Rebel Rouser as well, but didn't say anything because I thought it might be another Eddy song that I don't know ... especially since I've yet to know any of the original songs that have been the basis for other Czech songs that you've asked about. But I wonder if Mefisto might have wanted to just use Rebel Rouser as the basis for their song, but then made some changes to it to avoid the possibility of having to pay royalties -- if not in Czechoslovakia, then maybe if the song were to become popular elsewhere. Just a thought.

August 3, 2019 8:20 pm  #4

Just to jump in and add to the conversation, it sure sounded to me like something the Ventures would have recorded, especially in their very early LP's (1960 - 1962).  It also may be based on one of the many instrumental recordings by the numerous "surf bands" (Pyramids, Challengers, Wailers, etc.).  I'll also mention that Duane Eddy came to my mind at the start of the track.

August 5, 2019 5:17 pm  #5

Thank you for your inspiring ideas.
I searched ten albums of The Ventures (1960-1963), I listened to The Pyramids,
The Challengers, The Wailers,
The Chantays ...  I'm tired, I give up hope...

August 8, 2019 4:39 pm  #6

But did you listen to Duane Eddy?

August 9, 2019 1:40 pm  #7

I appreciated what Jim suggested, and he knows far more about the artists he mentioned than I do. But that record sounds so much like Duane Eddy to me, that I would have figured that it was him if you hadn't told me that it was by a Czech group. I still think that they may have come up with something on their own that was inspired by Duane Eddy. And if they did, I'm impressed ... I think it's a great record.

August 10, 2019 10:50 am  #8

I have listened to nearly everything that Duan Eddy has on the Internet, but without a positive result.

August 10, 2019 4:31 pm  #9

An oldies fan has solved this problem today.
Mefisto - "Lazy Guitar" is actually Les Paul - "Big Eyed Gal".

Board footera