The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2019 6:47 pm  #1

An Oldie But A Goodie

I'm not one of those people who likes to pass on memes or jokes, but this one is simply made for this board. I don't know who's responsible for it, but it made me laugh out loud it's so perfect.

August 12, 2019 7:00 am  #2

Re: An Oldie But A Goodie

Literally made me lol.  Hilarious!

August 15, 2019 5:12 pm  #3

I saw this on Facebook a couple weeks ago and got a really big kick out of it.Somewhere in my files I have an old cartoon of a guy climbing up a hill, over to the side it says Blueberry Hil, and when he gets to the top he says "I found my drill!"

I got rid of my cable, so I don't see them anymore, but I used to get a kick out of the music references on some of the old sitcoms.  The Jeffersons - George and Weezy were going to a costume ball, Weezy was going as Cleopatra.  Florence wanted to know who she was going as. Weezy said, "Anthony and...."  Florence said "The Imperials," and started singing Tears On my Pillow.

Two good ones from Sanford and Son, the old blues 78s donated to some museum.  Then a young guy comes along and says "I want my daddy's records."   The other good one - "B.B. King gon' kill me!"

There were several good ones on the Golden Girls - one about some instance in which someone would have to like jazz.  A guy said "Dizzy Gillespie's always on at my house."  Rose said "Oh, does he like jazz?"  And something about being at the Burt Reynolds Theatre, and Sophia said "I was just about to eat a giant shrimp out of Jerry Reed's hand."  A little different, but still sorta relevant - Dorothy was putting on a talent show for a hospital, and Sophia wanted to be in it but Dorothy wouldn't let her.  "You can't sing, you can't dance, you can't be in the show.  Who do you think you are, Ricky Ricardo?"

But my all time favorite came from Newhart.  It was an episode about putting a new bell in the tower or something like that.  The two Darryls were complaining about not getting credit for something, and Larry said "NOT EVERYONE GETS TO BE SAM THE SHAM.  SOME PEOPLE JUST GOTTA BE PHAROAHS." 

August 15, 2019 7:35 pm  #4

Thanks for posting Flo - these ARE good!

August 16, 2019 10:36 am  #5

Another good one showed up on Facebook in the last few days - There was a misunderstanding when I asked for vinyl siding.  And there's a picture of a house covered with records!!  It seems to be very popular.

I remembered another one from the Golden Girls.  Dorothy's son was a musician, and he had decided to get married. He was going to marry a black woman, but it turns out the objection was she was about 20 years older than he was.  Her mother showed up, and with one of those dismissive hand gestures said "White men.  Ever since Diana Ross started marrying them, everybody's gotta have one."

August 16, 2019 4:05 pm  #6

I remember watching an episode of ALF (can't quite remember the exact context in which it was stated) when Alf turned to Willie and said: "You cheated, you lied, you said that you loved me."  I remember thinking what an obscure reference that was - a TV show in the late 80's making reference to a song from 1958.  And not even a top 10 song - it peaked at #15 on the Billboard charts.

August 17, 2019 8:08 am  #7

This is a great thread.  I'd love to add my own if I could remember one.  Keep going!

August 17, 2019 12:31 pm  #8

August 17, 2019 8:07 pm  #9

August 18, 2019 7:38 am  #10

GrimsbyFan wrote:

I remember watching an episode of ALF (can't quite remember the exact context in which it was stated) when Alf turned to Willie and said: "You cheated, you lied, you said that you loved me."  I remember thinking what an obscure reference that was - a TV show in the late 80's making reference to a song from 1958.  And not even a top 10 song - it peaked at #15 on the Billboard charts.

Some of the script writing in Alf was brilliant. My favorite was the Hallowe’en episode, the one night Alf could show himself to the guests at Willie’s party by applying a zipper to his fur to make it look like a costume. He entertained the guests with his Elvis impersonation, but rather than go with an upbeat number he chose ‘In The Ghetto’. Some of the guests were so overcome with emotion by his interpretation that they broke into tears. I thought it was hilarious and a stroke of genius.

Last edited by Roman (August 18, 2019 7:39 am)

August 18, 2019 8:28 am  #11

ok, someone help the dummy here. how do I upload a photo on my desktop that doesn't have a URL?

August 18, 2019 9:02 am  #12

Go to this address: 

https://imgbb.com/

And follow the directions. Copy and paste the BB code into the message window, hit preview to make sure it's there and then hit submit. 

August 18, 2019 9:13 am  #13

Roman wrote:

GrimsbyFan wrote:

Some of the script writing in Alf was brilliant. My favorite was the Hallowe’en episode, the one night Alf could show himself to the guests at Willie’s party by applying a zipper to his fur to make it look like a costume. He entertained the guests with his Elvis impersonation, but rather than go with an upbeat number he chose ‘In The Ghetto’. Some of the guests were so overcome with emotion by his interpretation that they broke into tears. I thought it was hilarious and a stroke of genius.

You can watch every episode of the first season for free at Tubitv.com. (And no, you don't have to sign in or register to see it.) 

August 18, 2019 9:36 am  #14

https://ibb.co/nMfKrtW          I don't think this will work

August 18, 2019 10:53 am  #15

You did it right sort of, but didn't finish it.  At the bottom of the page you made, there's a link called "embed codes." If you click on that, you'll see a few different bits of code. The BBcode starts with a "url" in an open square bracket and ends with /url in a closed bracket. Make sure you pick the full image size and not the thumbnail.

If you copy and paste all those letters and numbers in the window in the Oldies Music Board, it should appear, as it does below. Hope that helps! Great cartoon, by the way.

Last edited by aflem (August 18, 2019 11:16 am)

August 18, 2019 10:57 am  #16

Here's another one I liked a lot. It's not about a specific group, per se, but I love the way the math works!

August 19, 2019 6:02 am  #17

thanks for your help aflem.

August 19, 2019 9:44 am  #18

Roman, I agree with you, the writing on ALF was very clever and witty.  It's too bad that when they re-issued the DVDs they went cheap and didn't pay for rights to much of the music.  For example, in one scene, ALF is in the garage listening to "Stop In The Name Of Love" by the Supremes.  He is doing all the choreography: arms extended when they sing "Stop" and pretending to snap a branch in front of his chest when they sing "before you break my heart".  In the reissued version, there is some generic music playing in the background, so Alf's choreography doesn't make sense.

Another interesting aspect of the show was that throughout the show's run, almost every episode title was a song title, many from the 50's and 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ALF_episodes

August 19, 2019 12:37 pm  #19

GrimsbyFan wrote:

Roman, I agree with you, the writing on ALF was very clever and witty.  It's too bad that when they re-issued the DVDs they went cheap and didn't pay for rights to much of the music.  For example, in one scene, ALF is in the garage listening to "Stop In The Name Of Love" by the Supremes.  He is doing all the choreography: arms extended when they sing "Stop" and pretending to snap a branch in front of his chest when they sing "before you break my heart".  In the reissued version, there is some generic music playing in the background, so Alf's choreography doesn't make sense.

Another interesting aspect of the show was that throughout the show's run, almost every episode title was a song title, many from the 50's and 60's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ALF_episodes

Thanks, I didn't pick up on that. And you're right about the music; years ago I bought the Season 2 DVD just for the Elvis episode and found that they'd cut the scene, I guess because they didn't have the rights to use 'Ghetto'.

August 19, 2019 3:00 pm  #20

GrimsbyFan wrote:

It's too bad that when they re-issued the DVDs they went cheap and didn't pay for rights to much of the music.

This is the same reason it took forever for shows like WKRP in Cincinnati and The Wonder Years to get released on video. The music rights would have cost them a fortune and replacing the tunes was also expensive and many times, not very effective. 

Last edited by aflem (August 19, 2019 3:01 pm)

October 3, 2019 9:29 pm  #21

October 11, 2019 9:08 pm  #22

How does one paste a pic here that's on your computer and not on the internet... In other words, one that doesn't have a URL address?  I tried a copy & paste, but it's calling for a URL address.

October 11, 2019 9:54 pm  #23

The moderator of my local radio forum mentioned the following site recently ... I haven't tried it myself, but it may help you with this. 
https://imgbox.com/

December 24, 2019 8:20 pm  #24

December 24, 2019 8:50 pm  #25

I'm enjoying the heck out of these cartoons.  Please keep 'em coming.

December 25, 2019 2:33 pm  #26

January 3, 2020 4:31 pm  #27

Michael Power - St. Joseph High School

January 12, 2020 7:39 pm  #28

January 13, 2020 3:00 pm  #29

Very funny!  Loved them!

January 21, 2020 5:19 pm  #30