The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 27, 2019 11:29 pm  #1

Ian & Sylvia see height of their career in very different lights

Ask Ian & Sylvia how they feel about their new album, and you'll get two starkly different opinions.
While the singers in the long-separated folk couple still get along, they don't always see eye to eye when it comes to their music. That includes their opposing views on "Ian & Sylvia: The Lost Tapes," a newly discovered collection of concert recordings of the duo in their prime in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ian-tyson-sylvia-tyson-1.5261986

August 28, 2019 11:36 am  #2

Re: Ian & Sylvia see height of their career in very different lights

Thanks, Lorne, that was very interesting.

August 28, 2019 11:43 pm  #3

Re: Ian & Sylvia see height of their career in very different lights

until i saw "festival express" a few years ago, i never knew ian and sylvia had ever 'gone electric', much less that the height of their career would have been considered to be late 60's - early 70's.

my only exposure to them in any depth were their performances on a couple of newport folk festival box sets i had as a kid, recorded in the early to approaching mid 60's. based on hearing those, i would have guessed they were at the height of their career then.

incidentally, a few years ago after a new riders of the purple sage show, i had the opportunity to speak with buddy cage (he can be seen playing in their band during the "festival express" film). i asked him if he was canadian. he replied that he was from california. i then asked how he had become associated with ian and sylvia. he said,

"they wanted what i had."

Last edited by gopher (August 29, 2019 12:04 am)

Board footera