The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2019 3:10 pm  #1

TV Show Themes That Became Big Hits

It doesn’t happen any more, because there are fewer and fewer TV shows with long theme songs at the beginning. Program philosophies have changed over the years, and the idea is to get into a show right away, before the viewer gets bored and turns on something else.

It’s a shame, though, because there were some great songs that fronted TV shows over the years and a few of them became bona fide hits on their own – songs like Bonanza or Peter Gunn.

Here are a few of my favourites.

Theme From Hill St. Blues By Mike Post 1981

Mike Post (aka Leland Postille – I would have changed it too!) wrote the theme from The Rockford Files, and both songs went to #10. In an interview I had with Post in what seems like a thousand years ago (really around 1981) he told me that he wrote the thing in less than 30 minutes. It was just one of those songs that came to him as he was sitting there thinking about a different kind of cop show. One of an increasingly rare number of instrumentals to hit the Top 10 or the charts in the later days of TV and a great show to boot.

Secret Agent Man – Johnny Rivers, 1966

This would never happened if the show had remained on the air only in Britain and had not been picked up by CBS. Back there, it was called “Danger Man” and the song wouldn’t have made any sense. It’s also a classic mondegreen, because many people swear Rivers is singing “Secret Asian Man.”

Happy Days – Pratt & McLain 1976

It replaced Bill Hailey’s signature “Rock Around The Clock” as the theme for the 50s-inspired show. Made it all the way to #5 on Billboard.  

Theme From The Greatest American Hero – Joey Scarbury 1981

A great song from a middling show, about a guy who finds a supersuit and becomes a reluctant superhero. Also known as “Believe It or Not,” the song was a bigger hit than the program that spawned it. A new version, swapping a woman for the male star, was contemplated by ABC last year, but it never – you should pardon the expression – got off the ground.

I’ll Be There For You –Rembrandts 1995

Hearing this repeated week after week after week on the hit show “Friends” helped this tune to go to the top on Billboard’s Pop Chart and in Canada.

Welcome Back – John Sebastian 1976

The theme from “Welcome Back Kotter” is not only a great song, but if I’m not mistaken, it was the first TV tune to ever hit #1. It was such a good record that the producers of the show – who wanted to call the series just “Kotter,” actually changed the name to the more familiar “Welcome Back Kotter” so they could match it to the tune. Probably the only theme in history to alter the name of a show. 

Love Is All Around – Sonny Curtis 1970

O.K. I’m cheating here. This never really achieved any major chart success but I’ll never figure out why. The original intro from The Mary Tyler Moore Show is my favourite TV theme of all time, so I just had to include it here.

Last edited by aflem (August 21, 2019 3:13 pm)

August 21, 2019 5:54 pm  #2

Re: TV Show Themes That Became Big Hits

where would you put the theme to Route 66 by Nelson Riddle? Not the sung version for sure. 

August 29, 2019 7:56 pm  #3

Technically, this isn't part of this thread. But it's so unusual, I can't resist alerting others to it. Remember the classic theme song from "Gilligan's Island?" You know, that lyric about a "3 hour tour" that creator Sherwood Schwartz claimed he made up on the spot to sell the show to CBS? Turns out that wasn't quite true. 

I came across this by accident. It's the original theme song from the never shown pilot for Gilligan's Island. And thank God they never used it, because it's almost unlistenable. It also features a number of characters that never made it into the final product - with a different actor playing The Professor, who in this episode is introduced as a "high school teacher."

It's just plain weird, considering how often we've seen the better known version. And yes, apparently that IS Sherwood Schwartz singing this terrible song. Enjoy! (If that's the proper word to use.)

Last edited by aflem (August 29, 2019 7:57 pm)

August 29, 2019 8:06 pm  #4

that is horrible. thank goodness it didn't make it.

September 1, 2019 1:44 pm  #5

"Making Our Dreams Come True" Theme from Laverne & Shirley, by Cindi Grecco 

September 1, 2019 7:26 pm  #6

Theme song from Hawaii Five-O

September 1, 2019 7:43 pm  #7

Batman Theme - Marketts, Neil Hefti
WKRP In Cincinnati - Steve Carlisle

Board footera