The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 5, 2019 2:49 pm  #1

Greta Van Fleet and Led Zeppelin

Greta Van Fleet is a relatively new band from Frankenmuth, Michigan to which I was recently exposed.  They started in 2017 by three brothers + another, all just in the in teens.  Many critics calling them the "New Led Zeppelin."  Anyone heard their stuff? 

January 6, 2019 9:13 am  #2

Re: Greta Van Fleet and Led Zeppelin

You just exposed them to me as well.

Wow, I like them. The comparison to Led Zeppelin is right on.  Being Michigan raised, I'm surprised I hadn't heard of them until now.

January 6, 2019 5:34 pm  #3

Same here Karen.  I had to have some of the die-hard relatives from Michigan tell me about them.  Greta's members - all very young kids, but very music-skookum, very talented.

January 6, 2019 8:34 pm  #4

I was at a pool hall last week where they have a speaker system for music.  While waiting to take a shot I heard a song start playing and it immediately caught my attention.  I listened for about a minute and asked a friend if it was some unknown or rarely heard Led Zep song.  He told me it was a new band Greta Van Fleet.  Amazing Zeppelin sound-a-likes with Robert Plant-like screeches and wails.

January 7, 2019 12:26 am  #5

Thanks Ray. I was kind of hoping my hearing wasn't belying my age  .  I hope they can stay true to their sounds - maybe even cut some vinyl!  I can't say that Greta is identical to Plant et al, but if your ear tells you that the music is good - like it does to Led Zepp - then I'd say, sit back and enjoy the melody.  Besides the voices, guitarist Jake Kiszka, has some talent as evidenced by his guitar riff.

Board footera